1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan Disk won't run

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Honey2aB, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

First off I have a Dell with ME and IE 6.0, along with assorted anti spyware and AV.

The ScanDisk is supposed to run by itself at a certain time everyday, but never does AND if I manually start it the message it gives me, after running for a while is.."scan disk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable scan disk to finish sooner." I don't have a single thing running besides the dang scan disk.

Consequently, because the scan disk doesn't scan, the defrag won't either. Apparently, these 2 are partners and if one is on strike the other one ain't crossin' the picket line. :rolleyes:

2. Pacalis

Pacalis

Hello Honey2aB ; Your Scan Disc is not completing because something is running in the background . Try Ctrl , Alt, Delete. Close everything thing accept for Explorer and System. Then try your Scan Disc and De-frag. If that doesn't do it , run Scan & De-Frag from your "Safe Mode" . To access "Safe Mode" simply re-boot and when it starts up start tapping your F8 key. This will lead you to "Safe Mode" where you will have nothing running in the backgrounds. This should allow completion of you Scan & De-Frag.
    Good Luck !!

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Ok. I'll give that a try, but this trick you gave is only if I do it manually. Correct?? I want this dang computer to do it on its own like it's supposed to, with no actual help from me, except to tell it when it's supposed to run.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

You're probably out of luck. THEROACH is correct that it's the background apps, especially anti-virus, so a scheduled task is going to be a problem. You should only have to do those two operations about once a month anyway unless you really install and uninstall a ton of software regularly.

5. Pacalis

Pacalis

Honey2aB ; unfortunately the answer to your question is no. As long as something runs in the background neither Scan Disc nor De Frag will complete.
    I do a weekly maintenance on my puter,which includes updating and running ,Adawre, Spybot,Norton Av, clean out my Temp. Files, Scan Disc and finally De Frag. I also run Diskeeper Lite during the week , depending on the amount of time I'm on the puter. Weekly maintenance don't take long if you do it weekly . And it sure saves you a lot of headaches . Good Luck !! ;)

6. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

So, what you're saying is that my AV kind of interferes with my scheduled tasks? If that's the case, well, that sucks :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's not like I'm going to pull a muscle doing the scanning myself. I think the once a week thing would be better for me, as I have kids that are on this thing all of the time and they are everywhere, and all over. Maybe every few days in my case, what do you think?

7. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to ask, better yet just make sure I did the right thing. When I erased everything on ALT/CTRL/DEL, except for explorer and system it did scan with no problem. What it did tell me was this.."ScanDisk found 720896 bytes of data in 28 lost file fragment (s). Lost file fragment might be useful files or folders, but are probably just taking up space.

1. discard lost file fragment(s) and recover disk space
    2. convert the lost file fragment(s) into file(s)
    3. ignore this error and continue

It had #2 ticked off so I left it at that. Is that right?

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

I never save them. I'd use option 1. The chance you'd be able to recover anything useful would be a thousand to one.

As far as
    Well, I'd keep them from climbing on your PC first and then still defrag about once a month :D

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

I forgot to mention yesterday, that when I closed everything, except for explorer and system, it got rid of my little red umbrella in the bottom right hand corner of my computer. My AntiVir red umbrella that is. Dumb question. How do I get it back??

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Re-Boot or launch your anti-virus from the start menu. Anytime you close everything from Ctrl/Alt/Del and then make a change you should always re-boot after. I take it from your question you're an always on user.

Your anti-virus software should be in your startup group.

11. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

:rolleyes: Duuh, was that easy enuf to do?? :D

And, ya, I'm an always on user. Too lazy bum to actually type in my name and password. :eek: I might pull a muscle...ooohhh, the pain. I can feel it now just thinking about it. :D

I guess I'm not too concerned about pulling a muscle otherwise, with all of the "I should know the answer to this" questions. But, hey, this is the first time I've been able to get answers for all of the questions that have been bugging me for the longest time. Some of them dumb, yes, but for me they are all new.

Thanx a bunch griff..you're a peach

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

NO! There are only dumb answers, never dumb questions.

Humm... I just made that up I think, sounds good though. :cool:

13. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Sounds good to me. It's amazing what the brain can put together when you're not really thinking. I do my best thinking when the brain is completely blank. :D :D Now, that's a contradiction, hey??

14. ThunderCat8

ThunderCat8

Scan disc never finishes for me, it just keeps restarting. I have Started up in Safe Mode and it still keeps restarting.

Any ideas what I can do?

15. Prof

Prof

You can scandisk in "DOS" and then defrag in "Safe Mode" (can't defrag in DOS). On rebooting click "MS-DOS".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice