scan disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

schnaz

Hi everyone,I'm using Windows 98 and I.E. I wanted to run scan disk so I brought up my running programs using control, alt, and delete. I told them all to end thier task except explorer. Nonetheless scan disk sent me a message saying that it had had to restart 10 times because windows or another program has been writing to this drive.So I went back to see who it was and it was Rnaap so i told it to end task and started scan disk again but I got the message again and sure enough it was rnaap again. I thought well instead of "end task" try "shut down" but that shut down the whole computer. thanks in advance, john

Hi schnaz

Rnaap is a program which should only run if you are connected to the internet

However as with a lot of Microsoft programs - it has a mind of it's own - which means after you shut it down, it will restart whenever it feals like it and whether it is needed or not

If you search the Microsoft database you will find the message that "Microsoft know this is a bug but have no fix for it" or words to that effect

So if you are wondering how to stop this behavour - the answer is "you cant"

If you do ever come across a fix for this - please let us know - as this affects my computer as well

As for scandisc - have you disabled your screensaver (set it to none)
steam

bilnrobn

Bill
Schnaz, starting in safe mode is the best advice you can get. I have just been through this; see my thread "Scandisk and Windows ME" and also another "My computer is playing up" Read them and you will get the whole picture.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
schnaz:
As a FYI.
Just because a program shows up in Ctl-alt-del, does not mean that it is writing to the harddrive. Rnaap is dial up networking and is probably not the culprit.
Also, ctl-alt-del does NOT show all active tasks. To see them all, run MSINFO32.

But, as indicated above, the quickest way is to Safe Mode.

schnaz

Thank you all. :D I ran scan disk in safe mode and I'll start investigating about those other possibilites;) schnaz

Could you provide more information about this program. I have come across the same problem running Scandisk, except in Safe mode, and have been curious to know if there was another way to perform this task without it restarting when it really shouldn't be. I am very curious to learn more about MSINFO32. Thanks.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The easiest way to learn is to run the program and then just poke around inside.
But, if you are getting restarts in safe mode, you are potentially dealing with a virus.

If you are running in always on configuration, such as Cable, disconnect it.
If you run a screen saver, disconnect it.
Update your virus defs and do a full scan.
Also run this online one.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If you are still getting restarts, download and run Startuplist (in Safe mode) and copy the contents of the file it creates, back into a reply post here.

**You CAN try one thing, which is noted in the MSKB but does not make any sense as to why it should work.
In safe mode, disable your QuickLaunch bar and then try Scandisk. I would be MORE than interested to know if this works. And if it does, I would love to know why!

Let me clarify my last post just a little. Some times when I have this trouble with scandisk, I will run it in DOS mode and never have the problem. While I am in Windows, I disable everything, including the screen saver, except Systray and Explorer. I have even read somewhere that disabling Systray is also recommended. Our virus definintion files are updated on a regular basis, 2-3 times per week and have never detected a virus when this restart problem occurs. I did poke around a little in MSINFO32 and noted there are several processes still running that are not shown in task manager after disabling them in task manager, but how do you disable these processes in MSINFO32. It seems if you were to diable them one by one, you might be able to detect the culprit that causes the restarts. Also, one other thing I was not clear on is you statement you made about "Always on Configuration". What were you talking about and where do I look to disable this. Thanks for your input on this subject.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
There are many Windows processes that run in the background, that can not be ended, Such as
Kernel32
Msgsrv32
Mprexe
Explorer
Pstores
and a few more if you are on Me.

NONE of these will be the culprit.
And, you can't terminate any processes via Msinfo.

The "always on" is in relation to your Internet Connection. Do you have cable/dsl/etc, meaning you do not have to "dial" to connect? The internet is "always on"?

If so, one cause of restarts (supposedly), is having the cable connected, and pings from your ISP causing the restarts.

Restart to safe mode and run the Startuplist from the link I provided.
Also, try disabling the QuickLaunch bar in safe mode, and see if that has any effect.

( I see no reason to disable Systray. It shouldn't be getting in the way. As QL should not be getting in the way either. That is why I am interested to see if it does help when you disable it?)

Interesting site. I will definately keep it in mind the next time I run into this problem. By the way, I forgot mention the machines I have seen this problem with are Win95 and there is no QL toolbar with this OS. I have not come across this problem yet in Win2000 so it will have to wait until this happens, if at all, before I can answer you question regarding the QL idea. We are connected to our Network via T1 lines, so it sounds like I would need to by pass the network in order to see if the scandisk will work better without being connected. I have a computer that I can try some of these ideas on that was restarting over and over before it finally finsihed doing the scandisk, with no errors thank goodness. Will let you know what happens.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
This "sounds" like a business PC!!!

Post back the Startuplist. That may have a clue in it.

BTW Win95 does have the QL capability. It is an IE upgrade (IE4 with Active Desktop???). As you can tell, it's been a while!

The other "trick" you can try is as follows:
When you get the restart message, end Scandisk and then wait a couple of minutes.

Then do a Find Files > Date Tab > During the Previous Day

Then when the list appears, click on the column header for Modified.
This will sort the list by date/time
And scroll to the time that you noted above.
See if there is a file modified then and if so, try to determine the owner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online