1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by telecom69, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Ok then bit of an unusual one this but would genuinely like to know What exactly is scan disk and how does it fix all errors it say's it does ????

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

telecom69
    Scan disk is a utility born in the early Win95 days that scans your hard drive for physical and software related problems.

Here are the items scandisk looks for and fixes:

Damaged Sectors- Sectors that are damaged either in software or physically damaged, physically damaged sectors are unrecoverable, that is, they are like a scratched record, they are lost forever and remove from the table. Soft damaged sectors are just seen as problems but if you were to format the drive, chances are, everything would be fine.

Crosslinked Files- Two or more fiiles that for some reason actually "occupies" the same space on the drive.

Corrupted Files- Files that for some reason have been damaged, they are either missing parts of them or they are damaged because they are on a sector or sectors that are damaged.

Misallocated Files- Files that think they take up more or less room than they really do.

Some of the reasons why things get messed up incorrect system shutdown (turning off the computer without shutting down), system lockups, viruses, and bad programs.

Hope that gives you some idea on what scandisk does.

Dave

3. Letterman

Letterman

Good information!

Being on-line more than off, I Scan Disk and defraq every day. It's like taking a shower.

Some of my friends think I lead a virtual life. But where else (except out of your body) can you travel at the speed of light to learn and be exposed to so many interesting people.

4. esdxc37

esdxc37

Letterman

have you ever considered how to put your hard drives under severe stress to test them
    defrag does this as it is moving large ammounts of data for long periods of time and by long i mean minutes as 10 minutes constantly moving data around is a long time
    consider how long your defrag takes every day and multiply it by 30 days which is my normal period for a defrag
    if your hard drive goes tits up and you've no back up ooh ooh!!

although opinion is divided on this issue no more than once a month for defrag and like my sex life probabley to much

5. telecom69

Thanks Davey for a very comprehensive reply it covered everything I wanted to know cheers!!

6. telecom69

Tits up indeed whatever is the world coming to that bit creased me I dont mind telling you,and I agree that de-fragging every day is far too much and not necessary ,stiil chuckling now have a good day ...Bob

7. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

it takes ages to defrag my disk, is there something wrong with it or am i doing wrong?

Is there another version which does it faster or more effiecently?

8. bigh47

bigh47

Pete - It depends on the size(does'nt everything apparently) of
    your h/d and what other resources are running. I haven't got to grips with inserting other threads in posts yet but do a search on defrag and it will tell what to shut down to speed things up.
    Or one of the experts will soon point you in the right direction.

Telecom69 - what duties were you on? Was it for BT? I'm still there left it bit late to put my papers in, still it keeps me off the streets or being here ALL day!!

Howard :D

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Pete
    bigh47 is correct in saying it depends on the size of the drive, but it also depends on other criteria such as speed of system, amount of RAM and of course what you are requiring scandisk to do and the amount of defragmentation exists. If you set the defrag program to rearrage programs to start faster it will use your applog file to rearrange. Unfortunatly with the speed of drives nowadays the savings in retrieval speed is insignificant.
    I uncheck that box for my defags.
    Defrag is always best done using Safemode since in safemode none of your startup programs are running and interfering with
    the defrag process.
    Dave

10. bigh47

bigh47

Davey - one of these days I'll remember to defrag in safe mode.
    Sounds like a good idea about the rearrange files option I'll try that next time.

Regards

Howard

11. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Pete-
    If you're running '98 you can use the ME defrag which is faster, of course Norton's Speedisk does it best of all. Speedisk gived you a % fragmentation, I usually defrag when it gets below 95% (That must be UNfragmented %)
    With 20+ gigs on a 60 gig drive for me it's a turn it on & go to bed kind of thing.
    Now where's that URL for the ME defrag?????
    If you email me I'll send it (the file) to you.
    My Norton Speedisk can't complete itself now so I'm back to lazy old Defrag. Maybe I'll try Speedisk in SafeMode.....

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

DB
    Speed disk will not work in Safemode. Have you run a through disk doctor scan in Norton utilities? Most of the time the problem with Speed Disk is attributed to something the disk doctor can fix.
    Dave

13. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

davey-
    Yeah tried NDD, reports all ok. Also been through Symantec's knowledgebase and tried all their suggestions. At this point I'm fairly resigned to using defrag until I get up the oomph (and the time) to do another full frontal assault (and maybe a few from the flanks) on the problem. Sometimes I'd rather help others w/their probs than deal w/my own. go figger.

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

DB
    Yes, know what you mean!;) You may just uninstall and reinstall Norton utilities and if you have no other norton products do a sweep through the registry looking for symantic and norton stuff left behind to delete.
    Dave

15. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Uhhhhhh,
    that's one thing I hadn't considered, even after making 2 uninstall/reinstall posts to others today. Practice what I preach huh? :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice