1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scan disks crosslinks

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Danboy, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Maint. ran Scan disk last nite. This morning saw message saying the scan could not finish. After trying to find out what the problem was I discovered that I had a crosslink between 2 files, C:\windows\cookies\index.dat and C:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\index. When I go to Disk cleanup and try to remove Temp internet file there is a lock beside the files and it will not let me romove them. Any suggestions?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Restart to DOS and delete the directories using the following commands:

Smartdrv
    Deltree c:\windows\tempor~1
    Deltree c:\windows\cookies
    Deltree c:\windows\history

After each deltree, confirm that the directory being deleted is correct, and then respond with a Y.

Note that the last command deletes your history. So after the 3 you will be starting fresh. With the deletion of cookies, you will need to reenter Login information to web sites again.

3. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Whitphil,

Thanks for your responce. I tried that hitting start, shut down, and re start in ms-dos mode. At the prompt on the black screen I typed all that in but do not know how to get out of the black screen.
    Danboy

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Danboy, you can enter exit, win or just do a ctrl-alt-del

5. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Rollin Rog

Thanks alot, that took care of getting rid of the Temp files and cookies. While you are with me, do I leave it in ms-dos or go back to regular start up? Which one does it need to be in to run scan disk? Also, what is ms-dos and what does it do? Thanks again. It sure is nice to be able to get the answers that novices like me need. Danboy

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

ScanDisk can be run either in Windows or in DOS.

There are occasional problems with running in Windows which for some make it advisable to do it either in DOS or in Safe Mode. This is when you get the message that ScanDisk keeps having to restart. Before running it in Windows, do a ctrl-alt-del and end-task everything except Explorer and Systray. This will eliminate most conflicts.

The DOS you entered to do those deletions is a "non windows" environment, free of all tasks and background applications that can interfere with running certain commands. You can get there one of two ways, by restarting to MS-DOS as you did (there is usually mouse support here). Or by doing a "regular" restart, but pressing the ctrl key (as soon as the reboot begins) to access the Boot Menu and choosing the command prompt option. No mouse support there. You can also select Safe Mode from the boot menu, which is a very basic Windows environment and will also eliminate most conflicts.

Let me know if I've confused you further... :D

7. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Rollin Rog,

O.K. That made some sense. I tried to run the scan disk and see if everything was ok. A message said that it tried to start 10 times. Went back and read your last e-mail. Not sure if I understand how to get into the safe mode. Can you possibly learn everything you need to know about this pc in one lifetime. ha ha. Help me one more time tonight and I will not bother you again. ( Unless I need ya )

Danboy

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have Win98 or ME, go to shutdown and restart. As soon as the pc begins restarting press and hold the ctrl key ( or if Win95, repeatedly tap f8). The Boot Menu should appear. From there you can select Safe Mode.

9. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Rollin Rog

Sorry I didn't get back with you last night. Was running scan disk. Did not know it took that long on thorough. Everything is fine now. Got into safe mode and ran scan and worked great. Two small questions. When my computer runs scheduled task-scan disk Sundays at 1:00 PM, does it go into safe mode, or should I be doing something before the task? Also I am confused about ctrl-alt-del end task. How do you do that and what does it do? Sorry about all the questions and thanks alot for all your help. Running Windows 98SE

Danboy

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to help with what ever answers I can provide.

First, on ctrl-alt-del. When you do that within Windows you see what is calle a "Close Programs" window with a list of "running tasks". These will include Explorer, systray and additional ones which are run as a part of your startup process or whatever programs you have initiated. For immediate troubleshooting purposes, and for eliminating potential conflicts, you can "kill" those running tasks by selecting them and clicking the "end task" tab. Explorer is vital to Windows, so that normally should always be left. Systray is innocuous and can simply be ignored. If you are online and use a 56k dialup, you will see "rnaapp", the Windows dialup adapter. If that end-tasked you will be disconnected.

On the Task Scheduler thing, it will not run in safe mode and there is no way to run ScanDisk in safe mode from there that I know of.

Moreover, I would recommend against running ScanDisk unattended and with the "automatically fix" errors checked. You need to have it prompt on errors so that you can know what they are. This may help in troubleshooting or recovery later, if ScanDisk makes changes that lead to errors, such as repairing "cross linked" files. In some cases you might want to seek further advice before letting a repair go through, and be prepared for a reinstall if the errors are many. Generally I would run a thorough ScanDisk only if there are specific problems I wanted to investigate (just a personal preference, and others might argue differently).

11. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Rollin Rog'

I think I understand now. Tried the ctrl-alt-del and I now see what you are talking about. Now I will redo my task schedule. Thanks again for all your help.

Danboy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice