scan registry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ejolly

Is there a way to get a free scan registry to repair my computer cause it is really slow and I know I've got problems.

Hi,you already have what you are looking for (U2),by using a boot disk to access DOS?Make
1 in add/remove programs/boot disk.Or download from Bootdisk.com.Insert this in floppy
drive and start computer.Wait for the menu :start without CD ROM support-choose that.
Waiit for the DOS prompt- an A prompt.A A A A/blinking A. Type SCANREG/FIX ( or type
SCANREG/? to get explainations&command syntax).This will fix the REG & back it up.Other
DOS commands are SCANREG/RESTORE to replace a corrupt REG with the 3 most recent.
Sorry if this is complicated-but;each time windows boots a copy of the REG is saved,this
SCANREG/RESTORE can access the last 3!!OK? YOU might also use SCANDISK/ALL to run
very good,fast&thorough Scandisk in DOS.As you can appreciate, DOS is really useful,in
98,Me & NOT in XP.If you want all DOS commands,including some Microsoft don't know,
Google SECRET DOS COMMANDS and also 98 DOS Commands.I have them all,but on
another system and use them heaps.!Have Fun.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Cleaning or fixing the registry will not necessarily do any good.

Expecially if the slowness is due to excessive apps running which may/or may not include viruses or malware.

Download,install and run HiJackThis

Copy/paste the created LOG file back here in a reply post for review.

I agree with WhitPhil - the registry is not the place to start.

This will clear out a lot of useless files:

Click on Start > Run ....type in %temp% click OK delete all it finds.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Explorer and clcik on Delete Files.

Download Easy Cleaner as suggested by Blues Harp.
It will clear out lots of un-needed files.

Use ONLY Unnecessary and Registry. Check the top 3 boxes in Unecessary.

DO NOT use any of the other options. This may well find 100s of files that are not needed.

Then: (if you are running Win98)

Click on Start > Run ...type in msconfig ...click OK Click on Startup.

From the list remove the checkmarks from all boxes EXCEPT the following:

Scanregistry Systemtray Your AntiVirus Your Firewall (if you have one)

You need very little else running - You can always go back and put the check in if you find you need something else running.

You will be prompted to reboot.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
WhitPhil and 1069 have advised you correctly.

If you're having a problem with your computer being too slow, it can be the result of several things, such as:

1. Too many programs loading during startup and running in the background.

2. A buildup of temp files and other junk files.

3. A buildup of spyware and other "nasties".

4. A badly fragmented hard drive and a hard drive that's too full.

5. A slow processor and an insufficient amount of RAM.

6. Too much graphic "eye candy".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ejolly

I really want to thank you all for giving me the info you did. I was getting ready to install the 2 Quick Restore CD's and hoping I was doing the right thing. Would it hurt my computer if I did? I don't have any important files on this computer just junk.

I would tend to leave the re-install option as a last resort. If you do the suggestions made first you may find that your system is running a lot quicker.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
How old is that computer? Using the recovery/restore CD's will revert it back to day #1 when you first brought it home and set it up. That's if the CD's work and you don't run into a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online