scand disk started 10 times

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

urs

hi
i am using win98
and never had this problem b4 but since i got 24 net connection i get this error when ever i scan my drive "C" but it is ok with drive "D"
bcause of this my drive "C" takes around 2 1/2 hrs to scan while "D" takes 1/2 hour.
even there is problem with defrag it gives a msg that u have an error in the disk. and if i dont check for error it never goes above 10% it keeps restarting
plzz help me

ok URS.......it sound like you have some programs running in the background...........hit ctrl/alt/delete........close all programs except explorer and systray,you may have to do it a few times in order to close some apps ok but when you only have the 2 above programs running,run scandisk and it should be ok.....then do your defrag.....if you have any problems,dont be afraid to ask.
good luck;)

Max19

Account Disabled
It's best to run Scandisk in safe mode. That way nothing is running in the background, and nothing will try to access the internet. That's probably why it keeps restarting after you set up your permanent internet connection.

You should also install a firewall program to protect your computer if you don't have one installed already.

http://www.zonelabs.com

Max19

Account Disabled
hewee, what do you mean? You don't log off from a cable or DSL connection.

Yes you can logoff or disconnect.
Somethings then modem is pinging and can make things start over so you need to disconnect to stop that from happening.

Here is a copy of a .html page I have.

================================================
Author
Topic: ScanDisk and Defrag Bible-DO NOT POST HERE
BEN
Forum Regular
posted 09-10-2001 01:51 PM

Hi ALL Updated 2:09 PM 9/8/2001 Please do not post on this
Thread, It is for reference only. Please post in your original post or start a new
thread in the appropriate section of the Forum.

ScanDisk and Defrag Bible

Follow the instructions below.

ScanDisk and Defrag: Always do this immediately after ReStarting your
computer.

Windows 98 Only MSCONFIG:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: MSCONFIG
4. Click OK
5. General
6. Check "Selective Startup"
7. UnCheck the "Load Startup Group items" box
8. Click OK
9. Restarting the PC.
NOTE:To ReEnable Startup Group, Just reverse the procedure.

To Disable Norton Autoprotect if you have it
1. Click Start
2. Point to Programs
3. GoTo Norton AntiVirus
4. Click Norton AntiVirus.
5. Click Options.
6. Click AutoProtect
7. UnCheck Load AutoProtect at startup
8. Click OK.
9. Click Exit

To Disable CD AutoPlay
1. Goto My Computer
2. Right Click
3. Click Properties
4. Choose Device Manager Tab
5. Click the [+] next to CD-ROM
6. Double Click on your CD-ROM Drive
7. Choose the Settings tab
8. UnCheck the box next to Auto Insert Notification to Disable AutoPlay
9. Click OK Twice
10. Answer Yes to Restart your Computer

To Disable Your Cable or DSL ISP connection
1. Disconnect the PCI or USB Connection from the back of your Cable Modem.
2. To ReEnable Just reconnect it
3. Restart Your PC

Defrag: Even if Defrag states it is not necessary and you are "0" % fragmented
still run it. If you would like to know why, just hit the "details" button. If you
have more than 1 drive or partitions Defrag them all. Windows 98 users only
See Why Below:
1. Click Contol+Alt+Delete.
2. Highlight each File Except Explorer individually and hit End Task.
3. Right click on mouse to display Properties.
4. Click Screensaver.
5. Set Screensaver to none.
6. Unchecked Low-Power Standby and shutoff Monitor after you start ScanDisk
and Defrag.
7. Click Apply and then hit OK.
8. Goto "My Computer" right click on it-then click "Open" - right click "C"- click
"Properties" - click "Tools"- click "Defrag now". Make sure you have "Full
Defrag" and "Check Drives For Errors" checked in Advanced Setting. If you have
more than one Drive or Partition then Defrag them all.

9. ScanDisk in Windows:
Note: Run After completing 1 thru 7 Above
1. Goto "My Computer" Icon and Right Click on it.
2. Click "Open"
3. Right click "C"
4. Click "Properties"
5. Click "Tools"
6. Click "Check Now" Under "Error Checking Status"
7. Check "Thorough"
8. Click "Options" Tab
9. Check "Systems and Data Areas" and Click OK
10. Make sure you have "Automatically Fix Errors" checked. If you have more
than one Drive or Partition run ScanDisk on them all.
11. Click "Advanced"
12. In "Log File" Click "Append to Log" and Click "OK"
13. Click "Start"

ScanDisk in DOS
1. Goto Start.
2. Msdos Mode.
3. Msdos with EMS and XMS support.
4. Type cd\ then hit enter.
5. Type ScanDisk then hit enter.
6. ScanDisk will run and then ask you if you want do a "Surface Scan" answer:
Yes.
7. When finished hit View Log and save the log to "Append".
8. Exit.
9. Restart your computer.
10. Follow the Defrag procedure above.

To Run DeFragmenter in Safe Mode
1. Shutdown you PC
2. Start your PC
3. When you see the IBM logo screen press the F8 key or Control Key when you
see "Starting Windows 95" appears, to get to the Windows startup menu
3. Once at the startup menu choose the SAFE MODE option
4- Once in Safe Mode try running Disk DeFragmenter

Viewing ScanDisk Log in Windows
1. Goto start.
2. Find.
3. Files or folders.
4. Named: type ScanDisk.Log
5. Click "Find Now".
6. Double click on the ScanDisk.Log
7. You may now view your ScanDisk.Log.
NOTE: If there are No Errors you may delete the ScanDisk.Log, It will be recreated and
saved again, the next time you run ScanDisk.

Win 98 How to Determine the Programs Disk Defragmenter Optimizes
When Disk Defragmenter optimizes programs, it logs information about this optimization in a
file named Optlog.txt. The Optlog.txt file is located in the Windows\Applog folder. To
determine the programs that are optimized by Disk Defragmenter, use the following steps:
1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type optlog.txt, and then click Find Now.
3. Double-click the Optlog.txt file, and then scroll to the Programs Eligible For Optimization
section. Programs that are optimized by Disk Defragmenter are listed under this section.
4. Disk Defragmenter optimizes a program by moving the executable files and supporting
files to a contiguous area of your hard disk. This can significantly decrease the time it takes
to start the program.
5. Programs that are not optimized by Disk Defragmenter are listed under the Programs
Ineligible For Optimization section. Note that programs that are not optimized do not have
improved start times. These programs are flagged in the Optlog.txt file with the reason the
program is not optimized.
6. Flag Description
S Log size smaller than
U Program not used for more than
P No profile for program
E Associated program no longer exists
D Log deleted (may be combined with one of the above
NOTE: I would suggest running Windows 98 Defragmenter daily, Which will increase the
performance of your Computer.

Win 95 and 98 - System Maintenance

For even more aggressive maintenance, after running the Maintenance wizard, open Task
Scheduler and set your tasks to run every night, with one-half hour intervals between the
start time of each task (Cleanup, then ScanDisk, then Disk Defragmenter). You may want to
check the settings for ScanDisk to automatically fix errors, too. This way after restarting,
your system is ready to go each morning.

Win 98 Users Only-System Maintenance
1. Run Maintenance Wizard
2. Open Task Scheduler
3. Set your tasks to run every night, with one-half hour intervals between the start time of
each task
4. Set Cleanup first
5. Then ScanDisk
6. Then Disk Defragmenter
NOTE: You may want to check the settings for ScanDisk to automatically fix errors. This
way, your system is ready to go each morning.

Win 95 Users Only-System Maintenance
1. Goto My Computer Right Click on it
2. Double click on Scheduled Tasks
3. Set your tasks to run every night, with one-half hour intervals between the start time of
each task
4. Set ScanDisk first
5. Then Disk Defragmenter
NOTE: You may want to check the settings for ScanDisk to automatically fix errors. This
way, your system is ready to go each morning.

------------------
Thanks, Ben

Dear Hewee,
I have Windows Me and have been having a problem with scan disk constantly restarting and not working as it should.
I printed out the Scan Disk and Defrag Bible and followed it to the letter. I started scanning and it, after about 1 and 1/2 hours, it had scanned about 250,000 clusters. Everything was working great. I bumped the space bar. It immediately said complete and shut down. Now it said I had 1,250,873 clusters to scan. I don't know why this space bar caused it to do this. I had moved the mouse several times and everything was ok.
I tried to rescan. It got up to 126,000 and the whole system froze up. I had to restart. tried again and it froze up at 121,000. I gave up. I ran defrag with no problems.
I used to run a thorough scan every week or so until it got so aggravating with the restart message. (I never thought about disabling the screen saver and changing the power settings.) What am I doing wrong that this program is being so uncooperative?
Also the "Bible" said about the optlog.txt in the Windows\Applog folder. I do not have this folder. Is ME not have this? Please advise.

4dsmom,

I use Norton to Disk Doctor (scan) and Speed Disk (defrag) and I never have and trouble.

I know know anything about Windows Me. Do you have DSL or cable?

The optlog.txt is and Optimization Log if what programs/files get moved around to the front of your drove so they open faster. Maybe it's under another name. Don't know about ME so.

Others here know more and can help you on your trouble so hang in there.

4dsmom,

Your welcome.

Maybe run your scan and defrag in safe mode and your have less or no trouble.

DOS's Scandisk can sometimes do better .
Toggle F8 or press Ctrl key during bootup ( depends on your computor ) , choose Command prompt only (NOT Safe mode Command prompt), then at the C: prompt , type Scandisk /all & press Enter .
When finished , type win & press Enter .

Well finally got a complete scan.
Following your suggestions above ,first it scanned system & data 105,354 clusters and froze, then I chose data only and it did 92,017 clusters and froze up, then data with the fix errors unchecked it did 285,649 clusters before freezing. It still would not work.
I then went to the MS Dos prompt in start up, and ran from there.A complete sacn with fix errors it froze up . I did data only and it did a complete scan, system only and it did a complete scan. Neither found any errors. Why would this problem just appear now? I have had this Gateway for 14 months and this problem started a few months ago. It always did keep restarting and took forever, but it did work. Now it freezes up. I guess I will have to do it through Dos. Thank you so much for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online