1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisck detected errors and closed windows. I cannot load xp.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deadsteam, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deadsteam

Deadsteam Thread Starter

So I ran scandisk this morning, the power was interupted during the check, when it came back it said scandisk had detected an error and was closing windows to prevent damage. It will repeats this message when I try safemode, or system restore... I have no Idea what to do.. I do not have an xp home cd(system) but I do have an xp pro cd...

what do I do??

2. Claymore

Claymore

I'm presuming you were running chkdsk (not scandisk in XP) on the drive that Windows is installed in - C: drive. If so,

Insert your Windows XP Pro CD and restart your computer.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R' to repair.

After the Windows Recovery Console starts, you receive the following message:

Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console
    The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
    Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to
    (To cancel, press ENTER)?

Enter the number for the appropriate Windows installation.
    Windows will then prompt you to enter the Administrator account password.

Note: If you use an incorrect password three times, the Windows Recovery Console quits. Also, if the Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database is missing or damaged, you cannot use the Windows Recovery Console because you cannot have correct authentication.

After you enter your password the Windows Recovery Console starts.

Type in the following:

chkdsk /r

There is a space after chkdsk

Let it run.

After you've finished what you want to do, type 'exit' to restart the computer.

3. Deadsteam

Deadsteam Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick reply, I ran home on my lunch break and started the chkdsk /r it got all the way to %75 and then dropped back to %50 and seemed to stay there, I had to get back to work, so I guess I will know if it finished when I get home tonight.

When I was trying to get into windows it was giving me a stop error 0x00000024

what would have caused this?

4. Deadsteam

Deadsteam Thread Starter

So does that seem like normal behavior?

5. 1stoptek

1stoptek

If the power went out during this check, you may have a corrupted hard drive. I would suggest backing up all of your data and reinstalling windows. If the chkdsk /r function won't work, then its corrupted beyond what Windows can repair. Also, an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) is suggested if your data is valuable to you so that this can't happen again. These are basically surge protectors with battery backups. I hope there's another option for you from someone else that works better.

6. Deadsteam

Deadsteam Thread Starter

Thank you for your help! the repair fixed it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice