1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk and Defragment

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by theMusicMan, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hello!

Can anyone please offer me some advice as to why I am not able to carry out a scandisk and then defragment operation on my system.

I am running Windows Me. I have closed down my Mcafee Antivirus application, as well as all the other taks bar applications. I have even used ctrl-alt-del to look at what other applications are running - and have shut several of them down.

I get scandisc running 10 times then telling me that a program is writing to the disc - do I want to continue to receive this message? Or, I get defrag running to about 1 or 2 percent, then restarting again 0 over and over again.

Any offers .......? ta in advance.

regards

John

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You need to close everything except explorer...then right click on an empty spot on your desktop....& go to properties... then to screen saver & change it to none so that it does not run while scanning

Savvy :)

that should do it. post back & let us know

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hey Presto!

Thanks for the advice Savvy - I shut everything down except explorer, didn't have a screen saver, ran scandisc then defrag and guess what - the darned thing worked.

Ta for the quick reply as well - much appreciated!

Happy helping!

John

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You're very welcome John

Savvy :)

5. alanradford8

alanradford8

Thank you Savvy Lady

6. omyn

omyn

Hi John:

A very easy way to make sure nothing is running in the background is to run them in -safe mode-.

When you first turn on your computer, start tapping the F8 key, do this right away after start up.

Chose #3 -safe mode, you will see "safe mode" in the four corners.

Then run scan disk first and then defrag, the regular way, from system tools.

I also have windows ME and it works first time every time.

Hope this helps.....Gene

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice