1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk bad sectors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Green_punk, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Green_punk

Green_punk Thread Starter

hello all,

been having a problem recently with my laptop (dell latitude) i have windows 98.

when iam using my laptop, my computer slows down to the point that i cannot open any programs. and it makes noises like it is booting up for a long time. the problem i think is with scandisk when it gave me a blue screen after booting saying that my drive E: has bad sectors. On my drive E: i have norton antivirus which i think might be the problem.

not sure what i can do about it, sometimes does not slow down and sometimes it does, like before i logged on and wrote this message, i couldnt do anything and had to boot my laptop about 5 times!!!

thanks in advance for help guys and gals!

much appreciated
    :)

2. dai

dai

if you have bad sectors your h/d is on it's way out
    try running scandisk from dos and see if it can isolate the bad sectors

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In my opinion a drive that develops bad sectors is only going to get worst - get a new and save yourself the headaches of trying to to fix (work-around) it.

4. Green_punk

hey,

just wanted to know how i run scandisk from DOS?

cheers

5. dai

dai

boot from the 98 bootdisk and type help at the prompt and it will list all of the commands

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Is drive E a partition ? or is it your CD-ROM drive ? If not how many partitions and what are the designations; C,D,E and ?

7. Green_punk

hello,

yes drive E: is a partition. I have drives C:(main drive) D: and E:
    F: is my CD-ROM drive.

Iam not sure what to do, im thinking of formatting my laptop and putting on windows 2000. Will this help??

cheers

:)

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

W2K is a good OS however it requires a fairly healthy machine both in processor and RAM. Far more than Microsoft recommends. The problem here isn't the OS though. If you have a bad hard drive the OS won't make a bit of difference. You'll lose the drive, all the work to install the OS and your apps eventually.

I would check the drive first (well first make backup copies of all your important files immediately) then download any diagnostic for the hard drive that the manufacturer has.

You may have to visit Dell's site to determine what you have and if there is a diagnostic program.

Other hardware problems that could effect you machine is bad RAM, overheating, bad battery.

9. Green_punk

Hello,

I had many problems with the laptop, i.e. it began to crash most of the time when in windows. i managed to get a backup and then decided to format the system. When trying to partition and format the c,d and e drive i had problems formatting E (where the bad sectors are) And formatting was stopped.

i think i will need to buy a new hard drive for the dell latitude. Im not too sure how to change the hard drive, is it a removeable slot in the laptop, or do i need tosend it to dell?

cheers!

:p

10. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

If your Laptop is an XP series, while sitting infront of your laptop on the left front corner you should see a slot that will slid formard, next push the latch to the left away from the laptop and a handle will pop out, grap the handle and pull, a carrier will slid out, a few screws and an adapter cable and the hard drive is free.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm not a laptop wizard. Some you can pull yourself but if it's under warranty then definitly let Dell do the work. If you or a local shop do it you'll violate your warranty for good.

There are 2 other things you might try, use FDISK to delete all DOS partitions and then build one or 2/3 new partitions then format. (This is a long shot but it's possible that the boot sector(s) is actually reporting incorrectly) and again, get the diagnostic disk from the HD manufacturer since it will give you reliable info on the damage if any.

You should be able to go to the Dell site, plug in the exact model of the laptop and get a spec sheet and whether or not you can pull it yourself. Also many areas now have mom&pop's that specialize in laptops since they are a pain.

If you have the bucks and maybe want a larger, speedier drive this may be the way to go.

EDIT: We were cross typing Arizona. Good, as I said I don't know laptops well.

12. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

IF you haven't Fdisk'ed or formatted yet you may want to try
    Fdisk /MBR

Are the errors only on the E: drive and not the other two partitions? What are the sizes of C: D: and E: ?

13. Green_punk

hello, the laptop (Dell Latitude CPi) is about 5 years old, so i doubt it would be under warrenty (unfortuntately!)

What i tried was i deleted all the partitions on the system and created just one primary partition--- C: When i used FDISK and then formatted after creating this it stopped at 85% and stopped there.

Before this another time i tried to format E (the one with the problems) it stopped and tried to recover some clusters, but this was unsuccessful.

The laptop has 6GB on it, so it was 2GB per drive.

14. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

You are probally looking at replacing that HDD you could keep woking at it but the bad secters will just keep getting worse, your at a point now where you will be installing a new OS so why not save some grief and put it on a new hard drive. BTW the (3) 2gb partions may have been there to accomadte the older FAT16, 2gb was all it could see.

15. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I agree. As long as you are at the point of formatting and reinstalling anyway, I would strongly suggest a new HD and save yourself some grief.

Also with a new HD consider partitioning it into 3 or more drives.
    This assumes a 30 to 40 gig HD for a laptop:
    1.5 to 2.5 gig for C: which has Windows only on it,
    10 gig for D: which would have your programs,
    the rest for E: which would have your data.

This way if you ever have to reinstall Windows you just format C: and reinstall Windows and then over install your programs and you lose very little.

I would also suggest backing up all your drivers to a folder on the E: drive. It will make a reinstall a lot easier.

Here is a program you can use to back up all your drivers to one folder (with a series of subfolders inside).

http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck1.exe

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice