scandisk & defragg problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ichirosan

i have a windows ME emachine 700 mghz intel celeron. why is it that whenever i scandisk it takes me at least 5 hours to do so? even when i close all my running programs, it still takes too long. with defragg., it keeps restarting and takes me 2 hours just to finish.

You most likely have something running in the background. If there is anything running, it will be visible with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. The only things that absolutely need to be there are Explorer and Systray. Try removing everything else and try again.

Hi ichirosan,
Try evilmrhenry's suggestion, also check to make sure scandisk does not have the "thorough scan" box checked. It wil take considerably longer if this is checked.

Bryan

Bryan
I'd suggest running defrag from SafeMode especially with Windows ME. That will eliminate anything that's "running" in the background. It's not always possible to do that from Normal mode since alot of things running are processes and not application programs persay and you can't end them using the CloseProgram dialog box.

To get into SafeMode, restart the PC and then press and hold down the Ctrl key during the boot up. You need to press and hold it prior to the Windows splash screen. You should see a menu appear. Select the option for "SafeMode". Run your defrag and then restart Windows to get back into Normal mode.

ichirosan

thank you all. i will try those things that you all mentioned. have a nice day.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online