1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk & defragg problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ichirosan, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ichirosan

ichirosan Thread Starter

i have a windows ME emachine 700 mghz intel celeron. why is it that whenever i scandisk it takes me at least 5 hours to do so? even when i close all my running programs, it still takes too long. with defragg., it keeps restarting and takes me 2 hours just to finish.

2. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry

You most likely have something running in the background. If there is anything running, it will be visible with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. The only things that absolutely need to be there are Explorer and Systray. Try removing everything else and try again.

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi ichirosan,
    Try evilmrhenry's suggestion, also check to make sure scandisk does not have the "thorough scan" box checked. It wil take considerably longer if this is checked.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

make sure you have disabled the screensaver.

Savvy :)

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'd suggest running defrag from SafeMode especially with Windows ME. That will eliminate anything that's "running" in the background. It's not always possible to do that from Normal mode since alot of things running are processes and not application programs persay and you can't end them using the CloseProgram dialog box.

To get into SafeMode, restart the PC and then press and hold down the Ctrl key during the boot up. You need to press and hold it prior to the Windows splash screen. You should see a menu appear. Select the option for "SafeMode". Run your defrag and then restart Windows to get back into Normal mode.

6. ratchet

ratchet

Repeat, make sure nothing including virus programs are running,
    scan is slow but try this diskkeeper, defrags my 40gb in about 2 mins.:http://www.execsoft.com/downloads/menu.asp
    (executive software diskkeeper (free trial)

7. hewee

hewee

8. ichirosan

ichirosan Thread Starter

thank you all. i will try those things that you all mentioned. have a nice day.

9. hewee

hewee

Good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice