ScanDisk error:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gutie

I am trying to run Scandisk and defrag on my computer. When I start the scandisk program it comes up with this error: "ScanDisk count not continue because your computer does not have enough available memory. If any other programs are running, quit one or more of them, and then try running ScanDisk again."
Well, I have 88% memory resources free and all programs closed when trying to run it. What could be causing this error?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
What version of Windows are you using? And how big is your hard drive?

Can you run ScanDisk in Safe Mode?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Is this a new drive?
And you used a ghost-like app to copy your files from your old one?

The problem is that the cluster size is invalid in relation to the size of the partition. Your choices are to rebuild and reload it, or use a program like Partition Magic.

gutie

Yes it is a new drive. When I copied files from my old hard drive, I just plugged it in as a slave and copied them that way. Where I can get a copy of Partition Magic? I would rather not rebuild and reload, if possible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online