1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk errors....bad hard drive?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrand, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

I have a pentium 166, with 32MB RAM and a 2 gig hard drive. Booted it up, and it did not even get to the windows screen.... I can boot up with a floppy, but can not go into safe mode. I am currently running scandisk, and it is reporting that virtually EVERY file is corrupted! Is the hard drive crapping out, or did WIN 95 spontaneously combust? Help!

2. deuce

deuce

Well, it sounds like your hard drive could be either damaged or going bad. Have you tried repairing any of the corrupted files?

3. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

yes, I am repairing them right now...the scope of the corruption is incredible- thousands of files have been checked and repaired... scandisk is now fixing the FAT system on C:\WINDOWS, don't know if it'll boot or not. What would cause this? I am going back to check on it now.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Before you allow files to be repaired....perhaps it would be a good idea to post what type (s) of files are corrupted.....

Sometimes repairing will do double damage.....

Have you scanned for viruses recently? Is your virus program up to date?

5. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

scandisk reported 11,394 invalid directory entries removed
    2 directory entries FAT chains truncated
    10 invalid directory entries corrected
    File corruption seems to be in the c:\windows folder or the c:\windows\system folder
    Scandisk is now halted for the third time at the same spot, trying to correct the Fat system for C:\windows

Any way to save my data?
    Or is the drive hooped?
    Thanx very much for your help...

6. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Whoops... I am running the grisoft AVG virus system, and it is up to date, and is set to check all incoming email.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!