1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jeanhar, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeanhar

jeanhar Thread Starter

All of a sudden when running Scandisk I am having a problem completing it. It keeps repeating itself until a message appears that it has restarted 10 times due to a something being written in the background. Do I run it in DOS and if so I would like instructions on how to do this. Or in safe mode and how?

2. boing

boing

I have a couple questions for you.
    1. what operating system are you using?
    2. When did you last physically clean the
    fans inside your computer?
    3. did you get a fatal that caused you to reboot
    in the first place?
    4. If not what made you reboot originally?

Just as a note here... if your processor is getting
    over heated it may cause a reapeated scandisc.

Having too much running in your active desktop
    can run you out of resources before you get to
    your desktop.

boing

3. melonhead

melonhead

I would guess that you have programs running that are stopping scan disk. Try pressing control-alt-delete and end task for everything except systray and explorer and then try running scan disk again. Hope it works!!

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Yes, you can run Scandisk in DOS or in Safe Mode.
    DOS: Select Shutdown.....Restart in DOS mode.....at the C:\Windows prompt, type: scandisk and hit Enter key.
    You can run the Thorough surface scan, but it takes a few hours....
    There may be some running background processes that have to be turned off for scandisk to run....usually, Safe Mode will handle these for you.

SAFE MODE: At bootup, press and hold the CTRL key, should see the menu item, "Safe Mode".....select that. At the desktop, your video will look greyed out....because a lot of drivers are not running......this is normal. Run Scandisk the same way from the Programs>Accessories>SysTools menu.
    Shut down screensaver before running scandisk....
    May help to temporarily turn off antivirus program, too, but you have go back and reenable it afterward.
    By the way, defrag will run from Safe Mode, too.

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

For most machines you can start it in safe mode by tapping you F8 key while starting you computer. (before windows starts to load). You will get a list of options, from there just select "Safe Mode".
    Also you can close most running programs while windows is running. Press "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" keys at the same time. When the program control manager opens select a program and select "End Task" do this for every entry EXCEPT Explorer and System Tray. You should now be able to do a scan disk.

John

6. jeanhar

jeanhar Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I closed out AOL 8.0 Companion after hitting ctrl-alt-del. Scandisk now runs.

7. PaveFE

PaveFE

If you have a screen saver running, that will sometimes cause it to do that too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice