1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk messing up programs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doescher4, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

When I go to my program menu and to accessories, scandisk shows up under calculator, freecell, solitaire, hearts, and my volume control. If I try using any of these programs it will run scandisk instead and the scandisk icon is in place of what icon should be there. How do I get these programs to work again?

thank you! :)

Lori

2. pvc9

pvc9

See if this helps. I'm guessing your OS is Win 98.

Click on Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. Click the 'Windows Setup' tab. Once the applet loads select the check boxes 'Accessories', 'Multimedia' and 'System Tools'.

If they are already checked, uncheck them and re-check, then click on Apply, Ok. Restart the PC. See if it works out.

You'll probably need the Windows CD for this. HTH!

3. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

You're right....I need the windows CD to access whats in the windows setup, but I never received a windows CD when I purchased my computer. Windows was already installed on it....anything else I can try?

thank u!
    Lori

4. pvc9

pvc9

Well, try this -

Start->Run->calc.exe [enter]

Would the program 'Calculator' open????

Edit: Btw, are these the only programs that aren't opening correctly - calculator, freecell, solitaire, hearts, volume control and ofcourse Scandisk

5. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Calculator will not open when i run calc.exe. Yes those are the only programs affected. Scan Disc runs fine from any of those other programs. :|

any other ideas?

thanks!

Lori

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Doescher4:

Check and see if you have one of the following folders:

C:\WIN98

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

If you do, you're in business.

When you're in Windows setup and you're prompted to insert the Windows CD, click OK, browse to or type in the path to one of the above folders, then click OK again.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

When I looked for the C:\windows\options\cabs folder it found a bunch of folders named that....2,690 of them. It found 51 files of the C:\WIN98 folder...all of those have an underscore and then a
    number.cab after it. When I went to windows setup and tried both of the folders it found neither of them.

any more ideas out there?

thank you!
    Lori

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Has this always been like this on your computer?

It almost sounds like you've picked up an a virus, or possibly even spyware ;)

9. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

No it hasnt always been that way. I noticed it a few months ago. I would love to beable to fix it as i enjoyed playing the games that are affected by it, plus it bothers me that I can't figure out how to fix it! :confused:

Lori

10. SusiQusi

SusiQusi

Lori..........try clicking on the scan disk icon.....holding down the mouse......and drag it to accessories.....system tools......it's not as hard as it seems or if it's easier.......click.....hold down.....drang to the start button......still holding down......wait for the start menu to come up.....then drag it to the top abov the line....just above programs...this will separate scan disk from your others....

11. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

I tried what you suggested....but all it does is move the entire folder. the scandisk icon is replacing the hearts, solitaire and free cell icons....so when I try to move it, im not just moving the icon, im moving the game also.

thanks,
    Lori

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I would scan with spybot and/or adaware and also a antivirus software like Norton.

13. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

I did a scan with adaware and spybot today....I also run a virus scan daily and make sure to update often. :)

Lori

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Did you receive a recovery disk with your computer? If not you may have to buy a copy of Windows (which you should have received with the computer). The computer manufacture might be able to help you with this.

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Before you buy anything, go to the web site of your local library and search their catalog.

They should have a copy of Windows that you can use ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice