ScanDisk problem on Windows ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eriksrocks

Ok, here's the deal: I have an old Windows ME computer that doesn't shut down properly. When you shut it down it doesn't shut down completely. It appears that it shuts down but then right when you think it would turn off, it just sits at a black screen, with the power light still on. It didn't always do this, and it probably started a year ago.

Now, to turn it off I just hold down the power button, but then every time I turn it back on it has to go through the ScanDisk procedure because it has detected that I turned it off forcefully.

The fact that it doesn't shut down properly isn't really a problem, but the ScanDisk thing is really annoying. I've tried looking in the Advanced Options dialog box, but there is nothing. I even have checked "Prompt before fixing errors on improper shutdown," but it doesn't.

I've tried deleting the ScanDisk EXE, but Windows automatically recreates it.

Help? :eek:

P.S. ScanDisk comes up first thing - even before I see my desktop.

Scandisk is not the problem & it's not a good idea to try and delete it.

You need to address the shutdown problem, which is most likely caused by a background application not allowing Windows to shutdown correctly.

Start by having a look at what background apps you have running, for instance Norton Antivirus is popular for causing this problem.

If you have Microsoft Word, run a search for files named Normal.dot and delete any you find. This is a template and Word will create a new one when it is reopened. The ScanDisk is doing what it is suppose to do, you definitely do not want to delete it.

First Name
Joe
Windows ME is famous for shutdown issues. As Kitch mentioned it more than likely a background program running that is causing this. I found if you take the time to use the Close Program tool (Ctrl +Alt+Delete) and close all running prgrams before shutting down, this will eliminate most of your shutdown issues.

As Kitch and Augie65 mentioned, ScanDisk is doing it's thing and you shouldn't try to prevent that.

Eriksrocks

Thanks for all of the replies. (y) Just so you know, this is like my "secondary" computer - I've got a new one with XP that I mainly use. A lot of stuff works right, and I've reformatted three times. I don't really care if something goes wrong because it's so old, but when I do use it, the ScanDisk thing is very annoying.

I haven't done a Spyware or Adware or virus scan for a while... I'm going to install and run Spybot and Ad-Aware... Would a HijackThis run-through be worth it?

EDIT: I don't have Word or Norton AntiVirus... I'm going to run a couple scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware and then I'll post a list of running programs...

(And yes, if you can get the shutdown problems to stop then it would fix the ScanDisk issue!)

Thanks. :)

Eriksrocks

*bump*

OK - I think this may be "unsolvable" because I suspect it's a hardware issue: No matter how many times I reformat, it still won't shut down - ruling out Spyware or a virus.

Any more help besides dump the computer?

Thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online