1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sahil_2220, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahil_2220

sahil_2220 Thread Starter

i have xp sp2 160 gb hdd with 4 partitions. c ,d,e and f (all ntfs). whenever i start or restart, a scandisk starts in f drive which is 100gb. it copletes step 1 and step 2. but it gets stuck at 0% in the third step without any message. no errors are shown in the first two steps. so i have to cancel the scannings everytime. even i installed a new os in the d drive even that is showing the same thing. is there a way around. my computer is used even by my friends at time when i am not there. somebody could have messed up the first scanning....anyway

Please help me with a solution now

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no scandisk in XP, only chkdsk. Boot from the XP CD, press "R" and log into the Recovery Console. Type: map to see all the assigned drive letters and then run chkdsk /r on each drive.

3. sahil_2220

ya that was a small mistake in there

ok i will try it within few minutes once i finish checking my mails and will be back to you with the results of the opetation

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Be sure to use "map" because the drive letters may not be the same in the Recovery Console.

5. sahil_2220

thanks elvandil...

i ran chkdsk on all the drives. it did find some errors in the f: drive

it did the job. but i am bit apprehensive if any of my files in the f: drive is lost or not. the 100gb drive is almost full. i will not no if (at all) any of the files is deleted untill i require it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you run chkdsk /r, the final report tells you if it found bad clusters. Were there any? If there were, it usually mean that the drive is failing.

But remember that drives fail all the time. Data that you don't have at least 2 separate copies of is data that you are willing to lose.

7. sahil_2220

no it did not say that any bad cluster was there neither did it give any location of any bad cluster or sector. but is said that there are some errors.

i did not understand the following line that you have written. can u be a bit more elaborate
    Code:
    Data that you don't have at least 2 separate copies of is data that you are willing to lose.

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

He means if the data is important to you don't just leave it in one location ie. your hard drive. Burn it to dvd/cd or copy it off somewhere. You lose the drive you lost everything.

If you look at the root of that drive do you have a dir0000 or file0000? If so you maybe missing files because the errors were in unallocated or crosslinked pointers in the file system. Only way chkdsk can correct this is to turn these into the prementioned files.

9. sahil_2220

no such thing is there. what ever the errors were probably they have been fixed. i have most of the important files in my dvd rom. but some of the files i had a single copy. from now on i will make it a point to make a second copy of all important data either in another drive or a dvd.

thanks Wanderer2 for replying

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice