1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk restarts 10 times

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lizzard61, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lizzard61

Lizzard61 Thread Starter

I have searched Knowledge bases until I'm blue in the face. I have a PC lab with 30 PC's in it. 8 of the 30 ran scandisk and Defrag without any problems but the other 22 get the message "scandisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program has been writing to the disk" I have closed all programs except systray and explorer, disabled McAfee virus protection, disconnected the network cables. Is there something I am missing? Can someone give me any assistance?

Thanks in advance for HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you are going to have to do your scandisk in safe mode.
    when you reboot go to safe mode & then runit.

also if you have a screensaver that will interfere with the running of scandisk while on the normal desktop... also any other programs that may run automatically.... thats why safe mode is the way to do it... no disabling things then either.

3. rickblanset

rickblanset

Push the F8-key (before it executes WIN.exe) and selecting Command-Prompt-Only (#6) and launching scandisk from there.

However, the symptom you describe indicates an running application that either updates or accesses the hardrive frequently.

The PC labs I'm familiar with all have identical systems, imaged identically, and are open to a varitey of users. Perhaps a user has downloaded an application that runs a TSR of some sort...?

Try imaging a "failing" PC with the image from one of your "successful" PCs.

4. Lizzard61

Lizzard61 Thread Starter

I have tried F8, it will not open in safe mode. These machines have Fortress on them as I work for a middle school and kids tend to mess around. Fortress is disabled at the time I try scandisk or defrag. Any other suggestions?

5. dexy29

dexy29

try shutting down all running programs in your strt tray that usually does the trick for me

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try starting the computer by holding the CTRL key down....see if that'll help get you into safemode. If you get a keyboard error, ignore it and continue on.

7. hewee

hewee

8. Lizzard61

Lizzard61 Thread Starter

Well.........I held down the ctrl key, got a keyboard error and it just opened right on into windows 95.

F8 did not open into safe mode and neither did holding the ctrl key. Screen saver was disabled, fortress was disabled and all programs under ctrl-alt-del were disabled save for explorer and systray.

I was able to do a scandisk and defrag on two more machines. But safemode is still not working.

9. cruiser2000

cruiser2000

I think you'll find it's the window savers and power savers that are causing the problem..

In order to get into dos mode .. just shut down and restart in dos mode. then type > scandisk

It a mess up way of doing it.. but it gets the job done.

10. versatile

versatile

When this occurs I usually select "No" when it asks if you want to keep seeing this message, then walk away and come back in an hour or so. If your short on time, try booting to a DOS Prompt and running a thorough scan using DOS' Scandisk.

11. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Check the Control Panel > Power Management, and see if enabled Power Schemes are getting in your way.

If pressing the F8 key didn't get you into Safe Mode, and pressing the Ctrl key didn't get you into Safe Mode, try pressing the F5 key during bootup, instead.

Beyond that, you should Restart in MS-DOS mode and be able to successfully run both ScanDisk (first) and Defrag (after ScanDisk is finished) from the C:\> prompt.

Note: I'm reading that the inability to start in Safe Mode may be an indication of another problem, such as virus infection, hardware conflicts, or inaccurate CMOS or Msdos.sys settings.</font>

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice