1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk stopped working

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by romax, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romax

romax Thread Starter

I have win/me and did a thorough scandisk last week without any problems, now for some reason, it will not go all the way thru. It says "scandisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program has been writitng to this drive"
    So I went into microsoft knowledge base and read all the articles associated with scandisk and used Q222469 Restart to a command prompt in safe mode.
    I used my startup disk and used the minimal boot selection and typed "scandisk" at the prompt A:\> as per the instructions and it said bad command. I tried typing in C:\scandisk, C:\>scandisk. C:scandisk, no matter how I tried, it just would not take is saying bad command or invalid drive.

I always ctrl+alt+del everything except explorer and systray when doing a thorough scandisk, and I always make sure my cable modem it turned off so nothing active would interferre. This is a new problem and I can't seem to fix it.

Helllpppp please!

Romax

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I bet you have a sreen saver running while scanning.... go to your desktop & right click in an empty spot & choose properties... then choose screen saver. Take it out changing to none w/ the scroll button, click apply & OK... see if maintenace will run now.

Savvy :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice