1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk stops, even while in DOS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mino, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mino

mino Thread Starter

I have a friend that has a Windows 98 computer and it has not been defraged lately so I was asked to defrag her computer. Well I know some about computers so before I did this I turned off the screensaver, booted in safe mode, and ended all necessary background applications. I unhooked the cable modem too because someone once said that could cause problems. Defrag got over half of the way done and it gave me this error message that said DEFRAG005 so I looked this up on microsoft knowlegde base and it said to fix this I had to do a thorough scan with scandisk. Ok so I am faced with new challenges now. Back to safe mode I go and I choze to do a thorough scan. Well it didnt even get half way done and it froze up. No error message this time. It just froze and I had to restart the computer. Yes I attempted this when I wasnt in safe mode once too. Also I tried shutting down and entering DOS mode and doing a thorough scan. It froze at 21% all times I tried this. I tried CHKDSK because somebody told me I should do this and it didnt work. I also deleted all temp files and ran disk cleanup both. Any other ideas?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When Scandisk "froze", how did you determine this?

I presume there was no movement in the blocks on the display?
    Was there still "noise" (chatter) from the disk drive?
    Was the disk light still flashing?

If so, scandisk could be now fixing the bad sector(s) that is has found, and depending on how many are involved, the cluster size and the number of files living in those clusters, this could take some time.

3. mino

mino Thread Starter

There was no noise from the hard drive and the light was not flashing or flickering either. This was in DOS so i know nothing was trying to run in the background. It froze at 21% and when it was checking the clusters the numbers just stayed the same. For example one minute it was at like 3764/38654 when it was checking (i dont know the exact number so i may be far off) and the number kept going up until the progress got to 21% and that number didnt go any higher. This was when there was no hard drive activity noticable. Thanks again

4. vlrbsf

vlrbsf

5. NotRite²

NotRite²

Would suggest running System File Checker on the Windows 98 machine. You could have a corrupt file that is causing havoc with the Scandisk program. Make sure you have the cds to restore any corrupted or missing files that are located. Just a suggestion, and if/when this is done, then perhaps trying Scandisk again. I was wondering if the "automatically fix errors" box was also ckd, as it should be?

Good Luck !

6. vlrbsf

vlrbsf

Make sure if you use this program to use the "close all" feature NOT the "kill all" feature!!

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Since mino is running in DOS, EndItAll is not going to run (since it is a windows app), and there are not any other apps running to begin with.

Do not run Scandisk with the AutoFix option set. If it is selected UNselect it. This site does an excellent job of explaining why this is a "potentially" dangerous choice.

mino:
    I can't explain the scandisk freeze. How long did you leave it running after it froze. (and how large is the disk you are running this on?)
    Bad Sector recovery can be a painfully long process, depending on the number involved. Let it sit for a while and see if any more progress occurs.

You can also try running SFC and using it to reload the SCANDISK.exe program from the windows CD. I would have expected a corrupted program to fail as opposed to hang, but ....

And, in SFC do NOT arbitrarily reload any files that it "says" are corrupt or missing. If you do not run SFC regularly, it can produce misleading information. As well, it does report files as being corrupted, when in fact, they are not.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice