1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scandisk will not finish

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jm100dm, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

I am helping a friend with an older computer that is running win 95a.
    166 mg pentium
    32 ram
    2 gig hard drive with almost half free.

Friend complains that it has slowed way down, would not shut down, scandisk and defrag would not work. IE5.5 preview screen also not working.

I instructed him to delete internet files, clear history and uninstall any programs that he isn't using. His Antivirus found nothing. After trying all this he brought it to me.

Scan disk gets to windows temp and then a message comes up about a bad cluster #59491 in dos. Tried running it in windows, safe mode and dos. Windows and safe mode come back with not enough memory message. And in dos it just sits at windows\temp after the previous message.

I encountered a few blue screens while trying to install an antivirus progam and cound not get it to install. He was using an older version of McAfee but had not been updated for years. Have since removed all evidence of McAfee and will attempt my anti virus again.

I ran a chkdsk in dos and fixed the errors and tried again, no luck. After repairs checkdisk showed 786,432 bytes in bad sectors and 32,768 bytes in each sector. Are the bytes per sector normal for a 2 gig drive?

System properties shows running 32 bit.
    Checked fdisk and it says 16 Bit {I'm confused}.
    Also when I first received this computer and checked system properties there was no device manager or hardware profiles tabs available. :confused: Now they are there. Went back to an older user.dat <10-21-2001, maybe that helped?> Should I go back to a system.d_t with that date also? It is available.

Other problems encountered

1)Power supply fan was not working- cleaned with air hose and installed a new fan.
    2).dat files were registered to open with a program call Odessy

Sorry to be so long winded, wanted to give enough info to explain problems. Thanks for any help with this.

Jm100dm

2. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

Sorry, but it sounds like new HD time and also move up to at least 98.

3. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. What leans you in that direction? Anything in specific? Should anything else be tried first?

My anti virus came back negative, now tring to update my definitions on my computer to transfer to theirs.

jm100dm

4. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

Just that when ever you start coming up with bad sectors & clusters the end most likely is near. My Niece's 8Gig HD had one...then two. Did scan disk the next time and had 10. At the 16 count I replaced her HD after a total crash and only the hard way in. I know bad clusters and sectors can be marked as fixed, but I've seen them just continue falling like a row of domino's.

5. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

Installed a new 20 gig harddrive. Tomorrow I have to figure out how to read more that two gigs. Any suggestions that will save me a lot of reseach would be appreciated. Other than that install win 95 with no problem.

Thanks
    jm100dm

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    There are three possible reasons why your not able to address more than 2GB.

The first is they have W95 first edition which only supported FAT16 in which case 2GB is all your going to get. Right click on the MyComputer icon and select Properties. If it says you have Windows version 4.00.950 or 4.00.950A then that's W95 first edition and all your going to get is 2GB.

If the Windows version is 4.00.950B or better, then you created a FAT16 partition instead of FAT32. <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q255/8/67.ASP?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB&FR=0> This </a> article explains it in detail.

Or the PCs BIOS is old and won't address the entire drive. In that case you can check the hardrive makers site for Drive Overlay software to allow you to access the entire drive. Most hardrive makers provide free overlay software on their sites. Your other option is a BIOS update but the PC sounds pretty old so I doubt there's even one available.

I suspect it's one of the first two issues but let us know what you find.

7. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight. It is win 95a and I believe the bios only see 2 gigs. I could install win 98se but he would not have a disk for it . Work ar 3 am so I have to call it a night for now.

jeff

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Then that's why you can only see 2GB. W95A only supports FAT also known as FAT16 and you can only address 2gb with FAT/FAT16.

He most likely should be able to see the entire 20gb if you do install W98. Anyway, if you do decide to do that, first boot to a W98 boot diskette, rerun Fdisk and delete and recreate the Primary DOS partition. When creating the partition, you'll be prompted if you want to "Enable Large Disk Support"? Leave the default as "Y" and press enter to partition it in FAT32. Then run a format c: and install W98.

9. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

bios amibios 1995
    Innova Mt Bios v1.11

When I go into bios I can set the cyl hd sec, but what value goes into wp?

cyl 16383
    hd 16
    wp ??? highest value for other drives is 65535
    sect 63

first time in error I put in 33 secters and it came back with a 2 gig hd.

with 63 in there it hangs at
    pri master 3.60

with 33 secters it shows 4224mb and will boot to a:

Will fdisk with 33 secters even though it should be 63 and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

jeff

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Jeff, sorry but I'm not sure what your trying to do at this point. You need to give us a little more detail on what your planning to do.

Are you trying to fdisk, format and install W98 on the drive and if so, do you have a W98 boot diskette?

If not, what are you trying to do?

11. thejay

thejay

Sounds like you need to scrap that computer and see if you can get a good deal on a new one

12. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

Bryan

At this point the computer is up and running with win 98se yet it only shows 2 gigs of the harddrive. I have gone to Seagate to look up the new drive and intend to download their discwizard program that checks the bios limitatioms. The hard drive is a model st320410a.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/discwizard.html

I think that I will find that I need a bios upgrade when i install discwizard. I have looked into this site for any info about the bios without much luck. The bios is 51-0117-001291-00111111-071595-82437fx-h from "Taiwan Mycomp. Co. Ltd"

http://www.ami.com/support/bios.html

This will have to wait til I'm home from work around 4 pm today.
    Will ezdrive do what I need at this point or is discwizard the way to go. I have a copy of ezdrive.exe on this computer in my second hardrive and used it on an older computer but that seems like years ago and I don't recall its potential.

I will check back here before I go any futher.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

13. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I doubt a BIOS update is available for it but you shouldn't need one because DiskWizard will do the trick for you. It should install overlay software and reparttion the drive somewhere during the process. Then your going to need to reinstall W98.

14. jm100dm

jm100dm Thread Starter

Bryan

Disk Wizard did the trick. It is up and running with 20.4gigs.

Thankyou everyone that helped with this.

Jeff

15. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Good, glad to hear it's all fixed and thanks for coming back to let us know. Have a nice weekend.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice