1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scandisk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zainu, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

Hi! there,
    I am not sure i have a problem here. Maybe somebody can enlighten me on this. I just finished scandisk my 60gig HD
    ST360021A and it took me 3 1/2 hrs. on a P4 1.5gig. I bought this HD just three months ago and this is the first time i am doing scandisk. Is this normal. My system space occupied just 4 gig.
    I wonder how long will it takes to defrag. I am not trying today
    because it is getting rather late. I would'nt want to leave my PC
    unattended.

I also just installed an ATA133 pci card from CMD. Could this
    cause the delay? My OS is win98SE with 768 SDRAM. Mobo is
    Gigabte 8IDX intel 845 AGPset.

Oh BTW the scandisk got thru' smoothly without any hangups
    or restarting from the beginning. But it took so long.

Any comments is appreciated.

:confused:

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi----I'd think Scandisk might take a long time, considering the size of drive, and if you were doing a thorough or surface scan for the first time, but maybe not 3.5 hrs. The type of files might make a difference- and, have you done good virus scanning with updated program, checked for worms also? How does the system run otherwise? Smooth, snappy performance, online and off? I have never defragged or scanned a disk that large, so you should wait till someone who has replies.
    Possibly, the amount of RAM may be an issue- if the motherboard is designed for that amount or more, there can still be some operating system hangups.
    I have run across the discussion that Scandisk from Safe Mode takes longer than in Normal- but, when I try it, seems to be about the same. From DOS seems a lot faster- and, there are a lot of settings for Scandisk from Windows- have you changed any from the default settings? I'll be out for a while, some others may step in to help you.

3. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

I was doing a thorough scan. My mobo can support up to
    2gig of ram. My PC Cilin files is updated and i am using
    Adware free programs. So far no virus nor worms.

System runs smoothly and fast. By fast i mean opening of
    win programs is fast online and offline. I am using broadband.
    I did not changed any scandisk default settings before scandisk.
    I also close all programs before scandisk. That maybe why it
    scan smoothly without any restarting and delay but slow.

4. Rache

Rache Banned

I wonder if the ram maybe slowing down scandisk. there are conflicting ideas on amount of ram 98+ can handle properly. general view is 98 os can't manage more than 512.
    You may find this extract useful:

...RAM AMOUNT FOR 98

Win 9x is theoretically capable of recognizing and using up to 2GB of physical RAM. However, because of the way it configures itself based on available RAM, it actually shoots itself in the foot when RAM goes beyond 512MB, and will not work properly at all with more than 1GB.

The workaround for systems with between 512MB and 1GB of RAM is to add (or change) the MaxFileCache setting in the [vcache] section of SYSTEM.INI to limit the amount of memory allocated to the cache manager. This is addressed in MSKB article Q253912.

For systems with more than 1GB RAM, the workaround is to add (or edit) the MaxPhysPage setting in the [386enh] section of SYSTEM.INI to limit the amount of physical RAM that Windows will actually use to 1GB or less. This is addressed in MSKB article Q304903...

I find it's best to run it in safemode as b/g progs are off and drivers aren't loaded.

5. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

Rache,
    I had already done the Vcache changed last three months when i first got this HD and the extra RAM courtesy of this wonderful site:

http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/memory/vcache98.html

I'll try the next scandisk in Safemode. How often should i scandisk
    my HD and defrag?

6. Rache

Rache Banned

I set my maintanance wiz to scandisk, defrag and clean old files about once a wk when in safemode. If pc's playing up slightly I use std with auto fix unchecked to see what's what. If it's got probs I use thoro unchecked. But it's best to only use thoro if probs are more serious.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Zainu:

My Windows 98SE desktop has a 6.03 GB hard drive and it usually takes Scandisk 84 minutes(give or take a minute) to run and complete, so I wouldn't consider the amount of time that it takes to run on your 60 GB hard drive to be excessive.

Not to change the subject, but one thing that I would do(if you haven't done it already) is to copy the Windows ME "defrag.exe" file to your computer to replace the Windows 98SE "defrag.exe" file. The defragging process will run m-u-c-h faster.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

8. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

Rache,
    Thanks for the suggestions. My problem is not serious. My sys performed well at this moment even with the ATA133 controller
    card attached. I think i will try the std on my next scandisk.

Flavalee,
    My sys is using the ME defrag. I was just wondering if it takes
    hrs. to scandisk it will so too with defrag. I haven't degrag yet.
    I am glad your said that it is not excessive in view of my 60gig
    HD. Had anybody else scandisk a 60gig less than 3.5 hrs.?
    It would be more convincing to know the difference.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Windows ME defrag will run m-u-c-h faster than the Windows 98SE defrag. Mine finishes in less than 10 minutes.:D

10. Rache

Rache Banned

I used the ME degrag.exe with my 98se and it was much quicker. But just a hint of caution. I've had conflict probs with pc - may or may not be connected, but a good tech guy advised against mixing os utilities when he fixed my pc.

11. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

Great!! I'll give it a try now. Thanks.;)

12. zainu

zainu Thread Starter

Defrag completes at 1hr 6min. I think it is OK considering the fact that i haven't defraged for three months and the files were all over the place.

flavallee
    When was the last time you defraged? Must be recently since it
    took you less than 10mins.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I normally run Scandisk once a month and Disk Defragmenter once a week.

I've seen several computers that haven't had either utility run in several months or over a year, and then their owner wonders why their computer runs so slow.:(

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As you fill that 60GB drive, defrag will run longer and longer. Especially if you start to add large files, like MP3s and graphics.
    Whereas a Scandisk Thorough will take the same amount of time, every time you run it. (given it doesn't run into bad sectors)

If you ever get a chance (or need) to rebuild the system, partition it into smaller drives. Or, if you see Partition Magic at a good price. It can repartition with data already there.

15. paparalph

paparalph

Just a recommendation. Norton Utilities (or Systemworks) Speed Disk and Norton Disk Doctor will amaze you at how rapidly they can defrag and scan your large HDs. My HDs are partioned:
    c: 40 Gb
    d: 30 Gb
    e: 40 Gb
    I am very pleased with the speed of defrag and scan. Try it if you can.
    PaPaRalph

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice