scandisk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pmarc

scandisk gets 30% way through (standard), then starts over - repeatedly.

message says something's writing to disc..??! nothing's open.

what's happening?

pmarc

thanx. scandisk went ok and said it fixed problems.

but defrag keeps re-running after, at most, 63% completed.

I turned off: everything but iexplore and systray, then
I removed systray.

Is it still running after 63% or does it stop? It can take a good long time sometimes. Just walk away and leave it for a couple of hours and see if it finishes.

pmarc

at 65% (if it gets that far) it starts over. i'll try running it all morning. thanx.

Scandisk and defrag really do better in safemode. To get there, restart your system, after the first screen of the reboot, start tapping F8 for 98 and F10 for ME. You will then get a screen with 6 options. #3 should be safemode. Select it and press enter. Run your stuff and then restart normally. It will come back up in regular windows. Safemode will look different, dont worry about it.

pmarc

defrag went 100% after ?hrs. returned from soccer and it's done. thanx a lot.

paul

Now run a scan and defrag once a week and it will be faster.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online