1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanned file is too large to send by email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by azhat, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

I scanned a handwritten document to my hard drive. I saved it as a jpeg, its too large to send by email(1.03mb) How can I reduce the size of the file?

2. RandyG

RandyG

Open it up in an image editor and reduce the resolution. You probably scanned the document in at 150 or higher dpi, but you can get away with 70dpi without any noticeable differences.

go http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm and get IrfanView, a free graphics viewer. Open the jpeg in that, then go to Image, Change DPI. Save the file, and notice the decrease in size.

BTW, 1 MB is not normally too large to email, unless your network admin, or ISP, have set a smaller than normal limit on attachment sizes. Most companies set it at 2-4 MB.

You might think it is too large because it takes forever to send it on a dialup connection.

3. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

Hotmail said the file was too large. I downloaded Irfanview, went to Image, and then resize/resample. Tried to change the DPI but nothing happened. Still the same size. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but not sure.

4. RandyG

RandyG

yep, should go to Image Change DPI, not Resize/Resample

5. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

There is not an option for "change DPI" , in Image.

6. RandyG

RandyG

Hhhmmm, there is in mine and it's version 3.61

Oh well, you can also resize it to half it's size, and you will notice a huge drop in the amount of space it uses, roughly 1/10th the size of the file, for only half the image.

Whoever you send it to can resize it when they get it.

7. azhat

azhat Thread Starter

Thanks, I did resize to half its size. It worked.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101724