1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanned pictures, e-mail

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jeanerino, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeanerino

Jeanerino Thread Starter

I recently scanned in a letter which using my HP Deskjet scanner. I then attached it to an e-mail I was sending. When the e-mail was received, it was huge, unable to fit on one page.
    What is wrong? I feel stupid even asking since I then tried the same at work and the same happend. I must have a setting wrong, but I can't figure out. Please help..................

2. slipe

slipe

Most graphics files have two sizes: print size and pixels. The number of pixels determines how large it will display on screen and the print size determines how large it prints.

One easy solution is to have the people you correspond with download Irfanview. It can be set to fit the image on screen. www.irfanview.com It is an excellent viewer and free.

Another solution would be to limit the number of pixels in the image. If you scan an 8 1/2 X 11 at 100 DPI it will display full width on a 600 X 800 screen if you crop out the margins when you scan.

Another way would be to scan it to a file normally and then open it in Irfanview. Go Image Resize/Resample and set your pixels to 800 DPI in width.

Another would be to use OCR and convert the image to text. You can just send the text file and it will display normally. Won’t work if the letter is hand written though.

3. rylz

rylz

ok...I'm not sure about this (terrific, huh?)....but when I scan anything I click on Image size under IMAGE on the toolbar.
    PC screens handle 600x400........so I usually have to type in the reduced sizes and click OK. Hope that helps....I am only used to doing prints from magazines, photos, etc....letters might be something totally different.

Good luck!:)

4. rylz

rylz

ok....don't read mine...take what slipe says - that sounds MUCH smarter than mine! *whew

in fact, I learned something from that one too....thanks!:D

5. hewee

hewee

6. slipe

slipe

Actually rylz’s approach makes sense as well. I should have mentioned it. Just set the scanner to scan at 800 DPI in width. It is actually how I would do it but some people don’t much like messing with the scanner controls.

You want the width to be 800 as most people prefer to read text the full width of their screen, and it will still be quite readable for someone like my daughter with microscopic near vision who runs at high resolutions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice