1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanned slides too small for Nero Slide Show

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by cullism, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I recently bought a new Canon 8800F scanner so that I could scan a few hundred of my old slides. After successfully scanning and enhancing them I downloaded them to my camera's SD stick and had them printed post card size using a machine at K-Mart.

When I added them to my pre-existing Nero Slideshow I was disappointed to find that when Nero expanded them to fill the screen they were totally blurred. I realised that the scanned slides images were tiny (3cm x 2cm), which was the problem.

Does anybody know how I can resize the image to about 19cm x 12cm without incurring blurriness?

2. lister

lister

Scan the slides at a far higher scanning resolution than you would for say a photograph - 2400 dpi maybe?

However, if it is just for viewing onscreen then 19cm x 12cm has no meaning, it's the pixel dimensions that are important.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

How long is a slide on its longest side? I'll use 5 cm as guestimate and example. Ignore the shorter side.

The scan resolution calculations:
    For printing, 120 dpi per cm, for screen 40 dpi, so always use 120 unless you know for sure you'll never make a print. So if you wanted to make a clear 18 cm print (approximately 7x5 inches), you need 18 * 120 = 2160 pixels of resolution.

therefore 2160 / 5 = 432 >>scan the slide at 450 dpcm (edited)

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    For TV viewing (in the USA) the images should be about 640x480 pixels in size. As lister said, for on screen viewing it is the number of pixels in each direction that counts, not the physical size in cm or inches.

450 Dots Per Inch Per Centimeter, uh?

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!