1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanner and Camera Wizard Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Ed Fresh, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ed Fresh

Ed Fresh Thread Starter

I have a Sandisk card reader. When I insert a SD into the card reader up pops the Scanner and Camera card reader wizard. THis all works fine. In the third screen you can choose the destination file folder or browse. When I try to browse for a new folder I can see only the plus sign but no names, just a white screen. This use to work before I upgraded to XP sp3. Any ideas on how to fix?

2. slipe

slipe

I have no idea how to fix it, but you can get your photos in the meantime.

Right click “Start” and select “Explore”. Hit the minus sign beside Documents and Settings – I have no idea why M$ insists on opening something.

Find the card reader in the left column and click the folders until you see the individual images in the right side.

Edit > Select All. Right click on one of the highlighted images and select “Copy”. Right click on the folder where you want the images and select “Paste”. They will transfer.

I’ve always preferred that method to a wizard anyway. It is easier to make folders and have things as you want them IMO. I have Windows Explorer in my quick start menu without the opened Documents and Settings. M$ has always poisoned the right click/explore access. Before they had Documents and Settings it opened Programs. Maybe they give you a straight Windows Explorer in Vista but I doubt it.

You can do the same thing with My Computer, but I think Windows Explorer is a better file setup.

3. Ed Fresh

Ed Fresh Thread Starter

Actually, there are several ways to get the photos moved as you suggest but I like using the S & C Wizard because you can rename and number sequence the new additions. I'm still looking for a fix. :confused:

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Why not just do a system restore and go back to before you installed SP3 ? or even uninstall SP3,if its possible ....

5. slipe

slipe

6. Ed Fresh

Ed Fresh Thread Starter

Autorun works and pops up a program choice box which includes Scanner and Camera Wizard. :) But the destination screen is blank except for + or - 's :rolleyes:(n)

7. slipe

slipe

You seem to have greater insight than I into what M$ would consider an autorun fault. I would run the wizard.

Have you tried right clicking on the drive > Properties > Pictures and selecting an action for it to perform? Camera and Scanner Wizard isn’t on my list but it seems like it could be on yours if it on your autorun list.

8. Ed Fresh

Ed Fresh Thread Starter

good ideas, but autorun works and I am able to choose from a number of programs that includes Scanner & Camera Wizard. The 3rd screen in the S&C Wizard doesn't work. white screen with just directory + or - sign,but no text. How do you fix this? I believe the application is c:\windows\system32\wiaacmgr.exe but I'm not positive. :)

9. slipe

slipe

So if you start the Scanner & Camera Wizard from the start menu you get the same indications?

Evidently your computer is still seeing the card reader as a camera – mine doesn’t and suggests going to Control Panel and adding the device under Scanners and Cameras. You might check there to make sure it is still showing the card reader properly.

There are some suggestions to delete Real Player with Scanner & Camera Wizard problems but I’m not sure it applies to your problem.

I don’t see the Scanner & Camera Wizard under Add/Remove Windows Components. The only other thing I could suggest would be a repair installation of Windows if you have the CD. You can delete SP3 as telecom69 suggested, but that seems a little extreme to me if everything else is working.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice