1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanner driver

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by busbar, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busbar

busbar Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a hp scanjet 3570c scanner and the software supplied with it is the worst I have ever come across(in my limited experience). When you press the scan button it takes around 45 seconds to perform the preview and then 45 seconds to do the full scan. When the scan is complete, the software shuts down so for the next scan you have to start it all up again,very time consuming. I have tried everything to speed up the job but no joy. Could anyone suggest where I can get just a basic driver for this scanner without all the extras that I don't want.

thank you very much

2. Arky

Arky

3. slipe

slipe

Something is wrong with either your computer USB or the scanner. This review shows 8 seconds for a pre-scan: http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=159

It is unusual for the scanner to shut down after any scanning job. Go Start>Programs and see if there isn’t a toolbox of some kind for the scanner. You might have your power saving set at an odd setting.

I agree with Arky that you aren’t going to find any scanning software that will help. Sometimes it helps to upgrade the driver. Use the link he provided and click on the “Automatically check to see if you need an update” link.

4. busbar

busbar Thread Starter

Thanks for the help but I have tried all your suggestions before. I have read reviews of this scanner and almost everyone has the same complaint about the software, I know it would have helped to read the reviews before I parted with my money but you live and learn. It makes good scans but as I am trying to archive hundreds of photos it makes it a very time consuming job.
    Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it

5. garybeafl

garybeafl

I have a HP3500 scanner that does the same thing. It is almost like you have to install the stupid thing every time you use it. No more HP anything for me.

6. acraftylady

acraftylady

I have always had HP scanners and never had problems with them so I think they work great.

For the original poster did you check the HP site to see if there are any patches and check for the latest version of the software?

HP scanjet

7. garybeafl

garybeafl

This is my second HP scanner. The first one was made so that the light stayed on all the time. It got so hot that it fired it. I sent it back to HP and they sent me a reconditioned one that had lint on the inside of the glass. I sent it back and they sent me another reconditioned one. Then they told me that I would have to download a fix so the light would go out after use. The only problem with that was that if you had a power outage you had to download it all over again.

As I said No more HP of anything for me. I would suggest everyone stay away from all HP products.

8. uly7

uly7

In most programs there is a dialog box that will ask you if you want to close the program after you are finish. Find that dialog box and uncheck the box that will close the program or hit the "Restores all settings to default" and see what happen.
    Hope it helps
    Saludos
    Uly7

9. slipe

slipe

Going through the HP FAQ on the scanner it seems there are a number of USB hubs that cause problems, including the inability to do multiple scans. Some hubs are better than others, but a PCI card for extra USB connectors is cheaper and more reliable. Many devices have problems with hubs. Your extremely long prescan time seems to be an indication of some sort of USB problem.

I took a quick perusal of the manual and didn’t see any settings that shut down the scanner after each scan – doesn’t mean it isn’t there though. It does say if you check “Preview” in the scan buttons menu when the scanner is set to send the image to another program the driver software doesn’t go away. You might try scanning directly to file rather than have the scan open in software to see if the driver still shuts down.

None of the professional reviews I could find had exorbitant prescan times or had problems with the software.

10. acraftylady

acraftylady

My old HP scanjet 4200cse had the light that stayed on after shut down and after installing the patch it was fine after that. I never had to reinstall because of the power going out but different model I guess. Now I have an HP office jet that works separate from the computer so you have to manually power it on and off even if the computer is on and you want to print.

11. garybeafl

garybeafl

My first one was a 4200C and here in Florida we get a lot of power interuptions and I had to reinstall the patch everytime we had one.

I had a hard time giving it away.

12. acraftylady

acraftylady

I have an APC back up on this computer and I love it because if there is a power interuption the computer is not knocked out and I have some time to properly shut down. If you get a lot of these you should look into one of those. I think I can get about 20min. on back up and I got it on sale for $100, $50 off from Comp USA but it was worth it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!