1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanner not found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cmacada3, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cmacada3

Cmacada3 Thread Starter

Hello Again,
    I dashed out and bought an HP940c printer and now my computer can not find my scanner.. The scanner scans and does web capture just fine but the icon next to the clock has a big red Question mark over it.. I was told to down load the corporate driver but I con't know how to do that.
    OH HELP TO THE ELDERLY?:confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Cmacada3
    I will try and give you a hand. First I will need to know a few things.
    1) What make and model scanner do you have?
    2) Is your scanner hooked directly to a USB port on the computer or a hub, or is hooked into a USB port on your printer?
    3) Which OS are you running Win95,98,98SE,ME ect.
    4) Who told you you needed a Corporate driver?

Dave

3. Cmacada3

Cmacada3 Thread Starter

Thank You For Your Help..
    Scanner is a Visioneer 3100 Paperport
    Printer hooked into scanner-scanner into computer.
    I have windows 98se
    I went to the Visioneer site and they said that there are problems with HP printers and that if I was using a home version driver that I should go to HP (they even had a link) and download the corporate driver..
    when I do download things I can never get them to work. Something comes up and says that AOL.exe can not be found.
    You wonderful people keep telling us to not be ashamed of our questions , but Lord , this is embarressing.

Thank YOU is all I can say, .. Carolyn

PS spell checker won't load so pardon the mistakes

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Cmacada3
    Nothing to be Embaressed about. The printer Scanner daisy chaining issue can be quite a problem I know I had problems with my printer and scanner daisy chained and they are both HP units.
    Yours are two different manufactures. Let me suggest the easiest and probably the most stable fix for this. If you have an extra USB port on your Computer break apart the scanner and printer and let them run by themselves. If you do not have an extra open port then do like I did, I purchased a $15.00 4 port hub which will plug into your existing USB connector on your computer and give you four plug-ins for printers, scanners ect.
    What I am afraid may happen if we do get the new drivers installed you will just continue to have problems in the future with either the printer or the scanner. Visioneer will tell use the corporate driver and HP will tell you they do not recommend daisy chaining. Go figure. If you still want to pursue downloading and changing the driver let us know and we will figure out a way to get you the driver. One option is I will download the corporate driver zip and E-mail it to you.
    Dave

5. Cmacada3

Cmacada3 Thread Starter

Davey ,Now you caught me.. I don't know a USB port from a bowl of Popcorn..When I got the new HP printer I just unplugged the wide plug from the back of the old printer and it fit on the new one and then I put the disk in and the program loaded.

I think that I should go out tomorrow and get a Hub as you suggested. I looked at the back of the computer and there is a place labeled for the printer and all the others are too small.

May I ask for you when I come back tomorrow? and If that is allowed how should I go about contacting you?

You have made me feel so much better.. And you explain so clearly. Thank YOU AGAIN.. Carolyn (Cmacada3)

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Carolyn
    The type of connector you are describing is a parallel connector
    not usb. Before you spend extra money let me look at the specs for the hp printer and visioneer scanner. I will do this tomorrow and get back with you. Also let me know the make and model of you computer.
    Dave

7. Cmacada3

Cmacada3 Thread Starter

Davey, Bless your heart,
    I have an etower/466id,... that is what is on the front.

A friend put this package together for me from Fry's (electronic store here in Sacramento). He said that even though it says 466 on the front it is really 486 (whatever) and he put something inside that gives me 192 (somethings else).

I wonder if there is a book out there somewhere that I could get and try to get up more comprehension. (just a thought)

I thank you again... Carolyn

8. slipe

slipe

I am a devout adherent to the philosophy that the printer and only the printer should be hooked up to the LPT parallel printer port. Unfortunately your scanner can hook up only to the LPT port and the printer is able to hook to either that or USB. So your only practical approach is to hook the printer up to the USB and leave the scanner by itself on the LPT connector.

First look at the back of your computer and make sure you have USB connectors. Most computers that came with Win98SE have USB connectors but I saw one once that did not so you should check. There should be two vertical small slots about a half inch tall. There are not separate holes for pins like other connectors.

Assuming you have the connectors you can get a cable for about $10 at Radio Shack and connect the printer that way. The salesperson should point you to the right cable when you tell him what you want.

Shut down the computer and disconnect the cable that is now on the printer. Boot the computer and uninstall the printer software. Start>Settings>Printers and delete your printer from the printer folder. Follow the HP instructions for installing the printer USB.

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Carolyn
    Slipe is correct in that printers are better using parallel ports however your scanner is only parallel capable. As Slipe said remove the printer from the wide plug on back of your computer
    (parallel port) and remove the cable from the back of the printer.
    Reattach your scanner directly to the parallel port on your computer where it was before. Now the printer should of come with a USB cable. The plug ends are much smaller than the parallel. This cable will plug into the back of the printer and also you will find a plug in on the back of the computer.

Note: According to E-Machines spec for the 466i the are two usb ports one in front and one in back.

Now and especially important, before you hook up everything
    you must do as Slipe says and remove the current HP installation
    doing an uninstall. I believe HP will have an uninstall feature on the CD it came with so insert the CD and follow the uninstall
    proceedure. If there is not an uninstall on the CD then got to
    start\settings\control panel\add-remove programs click on add-remove and scrool down to the hp printer highlight click and remove.
    After the uninstall is complete follow the install instructions
    in your book for installing the printer and select USB connection when asked.

Specs for E-Tower 466
    Specifications of eTower® 466i

Intel® Celeron™ 466MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache) PPGA CPU
    64MB SyncDRAM (up to 256 MB)
    2 USB Ports (1 is on Front)
    1 Serial / 1 Parallel / 3 Expansion Slot
    Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front
    Internet Ready
    Microsoft® Windows® 98
    Microsoft Works
    ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X AGP with 4MB SGRAM
    Crystal CS4280 3D PCI Audio
    40x Max. CD-ROM Drive
    6.4GB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)
    3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    56K* ITU V.90 PCI Fax/Modem
    PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
    Stereo Speakers

Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice