1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanner Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Rollin_Again, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Thread Starter

Has anyone in here ever used one of those scanners that has a built in feed for negatives? If so, could you please tell me the make of your scanners and your overall opinion of it (quality of pictures, ease of use, speed, etc.)

I also would like some suggestions on scanners to buy. I have little experience with scanners and would like to scan Wedding pictures to be printed on a CANON i950 Photo Printer. What is the minimum resolution required to achieve high quality scans for printing. I tried a cheap HP scanner ( < $100) and the quality was terrible and the scans took forever.

Thanks,

Rollin

2. slipe

slipe

As far as I know all current film scanners have a feed mechanism. Some you have to put the film strip in a clip to feed it and others feed the film directly.

Any decent film scanner with 2400 PPI or greater resolution will give a good 8 X 10. You get quality increase up to about 4000 PPI, but if you don’t plan on blowing anything up over 8 X 10 or cropping you won’t see much difference in the prints.

You get what you pay for in film scanners. Besides resolution there is speed and features like Digital Ice to eliminate scratches and dust plus software to reduce grain. These are all film scanners and as far as I know have some sort of feed for negatives: http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM

The Minoltas are probably the best choice in the cheaper scanners. The Canon FS4000 is a bargain for the features and the Nikons are the pick of the litter if you are going first class.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice