1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanning Actual Objects

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Gabriel, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed Thread Starter

OK...
    So, I have a problem photographing jewelry and small objects that I am crafting, as my camera is only 1.2 .
    Someone suggested using my scanner to get the item images into the pc. Obviously I need to put a fabric backing over the items....does anyone have suggestions about scanning objects:confused:
    I have scanned 35 mm photos, and tried to jpeg them, and am successful some of the time.

2. lister

lister

3. Gabriel

Thanks much Lister

4. slipe

slipe

You don’t mention what scanner you are using. If you have one of those skinny scanners that get their power from the USB you have CIS sensors. The “C” in CIS stands for “contact” and they have almost no depth of field. If you have a scanner with CIS sensors you will find it very difficult to scan anything with depth.

If you have CCD sensors you should be able to get decent depth.

My personal preference is to leave the lid open with no background. The resulting black background is very easy to work with in an image editor.

5. Gabriel

Thank-you so much...I know what to shop for, as this scanner is on the downside right now....:)

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

3 dimensional items do not scan well. Just get a digital camera and photograph them. Then you'll already (most likely) have them in the JPG format.

7. slipe

slipe

I put a screwdriver on top of a pocket torch for some depth and scanned them with a CCD scanner. The depth is reasonable for many small objects. You just can’t do that with a CIS scanner.

With a scanner you don’t have the lighting problems you have with small objects at macro ranges. Most flash units don’t do well up close unless you have a ring flash. A digital camera wouldn’t have any problem with the lighter and screwdriver, but smaller items work better with a scanner unless you have a lightbox.

The scanner is a cheap $80 unit that is three years old. With one of the new higher resolution scanners you could do better. Digital cameras are better for some objects, but if the object is suitable for the scanner it is usually easier for lighting.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice