1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanning and resolution issue

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Cheryl, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I hope this is the place to post this question. The digital photography/imaging was a possibility but was not sure.

I am running Windows XP - Home. I received an HP Scanner/Printer for Christmas and yesterday I scanned in some medical reports for my mother. I then e-mailed them to her for her records.

The problem comes in when I view them on my computer the resolution is horrible. It looks very blurry. When I printed a copy out from her computer - it came out of the printer real fuzzy and not crystal clear like the original report from the doctor.

How do I rectify this problem? :confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what resolution are you scanning at

look for PPI or DPI setting

for images this should be around 300

i suspect this may have been scanned at 72 which is OK for screen but not printer

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

When I opened up one of the scanned reports it says 349x480x24b jpeg Does this make sense?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not really - resolution is all relative - so what you really need to see is the settings on the software application you use when you do the scanning

5. slipe

slipe

349 X 480 is probably your width and height. If the reports are 8.5 X 11 you are using less than 50 PPI, which isn’t nearly enough. Even if the reports are smaller you don’t have enough pixels there.

If the reports are mostly text and line graphics you want to use one bit black and white. I think that is simply “black and white” with HP scanners.

If the reports include black and white photos you want to scan in 8 bit grayscale.

If the reports have color photos you want to scan in 8 bit RGB.

Some scanners refer to 8 bit as 24 bit. What it is best to avoid for that kind of scan is 16 or 48 bit as the file size is increased without much increase in quality for that type of scan. You want to use the higher bit rate for good photo scans, but not for reports.

For grayscale or RGB color you want to scan at a maximum of 300 PPI. You can probably get by with 200 PPI if you need a smaller file.

For 1 bit black and white use 600 PPI. It is the only mode where anything over 300 PPI is recommended. The reason for using the higher resolution is to reduce the aliasing or “jaggies” you get with 1 bit scanning.

Many brands refer to 1 bit as “lineart” but I think HP just uses black and white as opposed to grayscale. What you probably don’t want to use is “Text”. I think that takes the scan through your optical character recognition software with HP.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice