Scanning To Word Then Unable To Type On Form Scanned

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GRAMMEO

Help..OS XP Home, Word 2003 and scanner used is HP 4-way 2210. I've posted this before but didn't use a descriptive subect line. Problem: after scanning a form to Word, I am not allowed to type on that form. Is this an impossibility...anyone know? Maybe a secret I don't know how to unlock. Thanks. Grammeo

You need to scan in OCR mode to be allowed to type onto the form.

Regards

Cinders

I don't know the tools you own-- but the same thing can be done (with a little more 'finaglin') in MSPublisher or Serif Page Plus.

MSPublisher 2000: Scan the form as a picture-- cut it to clipboard-- go to VIEW menu and "Go To Background"--- paste it there.

Now return to foreground--- create a tranparent text box--- use the vertical and horizontal adjustments (font size, tabs, spaces, and blank lines) to make the text appear to be in the original form.

Serif Page Plus v.9: Scan the form directly to the blank page. Create text blocks and place them wherever you want on the page- then start typing. (Again, adjusting type size, spaces, line spaces, etc. to line things up).

I just did it in both programs and it took 2 minutes after the original form was scanned to fill in the first few lines (results will vary, depending upon the complexity of your form-- my form had 180 multiple choice answers times 3 responses each-- and places for "fill in the blanks" information).

Quick & dirty-- but it works (If you own MSPublisher or Serif Page Plus)

OCR is certainly a good alternative. Most scanners come with a "pretty good" OCR program. It really depends upon the tools you know, the specific forms you need, and how often you are going to use a particular form.

Enjoy,
letchworth

If you are scanning to Word you can use Word's built in text boxes. You can position them anywhere on your form then make them transparent with no text box line showing. To achieve this left click on the text box to select it then right click on the line round the text box. Choose 'Format text box' from the menu then in the Fill section in the next window click on the drop down arrow in the Color box an choose 'No fill'. In the Line section in the same window click the down arrow in the Color box and choose 'No line', click OK. It is better to type some text into your boxes first as the text box itself is totally invisible afterwards.

GRAMMEO

Thank you Cinders.....but I haven't any idea what OCR mode is so of course don't have a clue how to scan in this mode. I have an HP 4-in one printer....I don't see any way I can program the scanner on this printer to the OCR mode. Would appreciate more detailed help please....thanks so much ....Grammeo

GRAMMEO

Thanks letchworth....I have Microsoft Works....don't have publishing.....Cinders told me to scan using the OCD mode...looks like that is what I'll have to do but don't know how to accomplish this....meaning getting into this mode with the scanner as my scanner is one of the functions of the HP 2210 4-in-one. Appreciate your message trying to explain this to me. Grammeo

If you are going for the OCR option you need to purchase software such as Omnipage 14 or Abbyy Finereader, two excellent OCR scanners, they don't come cheap though. I still think the transparent text box in Word (as described in my last post) is your best option if all you want to do is fill in forms and it wont cost a penny.

Most scanners come with an OCR program (although they're not as good as the top-line commercial products) Last I knew, I believe HP scanners shipped with Textbridge...

GRAMMEO said:
Thank you Cinders.....but I haven't any idea what OCR mode is so of course don't have a clue how to scan in this mode.
OCR (Optical Character Recognition). Basically, what OCR software does is "take a picture" of a document & then reads the document- turning it into a wordprocessing document. Depending on the format of the wordprocessing document, you can insert your own information/responses where blanks now exist & either print, fax, email, etc.

The software probably came with the 4-in-one. Just a matter of installing (if it isn't already)---- Look for names like the ones mentioned: Textbridge, FineReader, OmniPage, etc. The software will have help files to get you started. Modern OCR software claims accuracy of 90-99% (My experience is probably closer to 95-99% from good documents).

Sometimes I get "tangled" in the re-formatting process of trying to do form- fill-in for someone else--- but it is a good process and worth learning how to do.

If you had WORD or Publisher (or one of the OpenSource free replacements for MSWord) the text-box idea would work fine, but I don't think MSWorks has anything that would do that.

("Tang" is a gift of the early space program development---- OCR is a gift to the computer world from the Xerox Corp.--- for which I am thankful.)

letchworth

One of the best for this type of problem is Paper Port which has a program called form typer. Just scan the material in as a document and then fill in the form using the form typer and then print.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online