1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanning

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gotcha, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotcha

gotcha Thread Starter

Hi again to all you lovely people!
    I would like to know what DPI I should use when scanning text into my computer, also if you are in a good mood can you tell me which is the best program to scan text into so that I could print it or Email it at a later date. I have Windows word should I put it into that then save it?
    Anyway I am holding my breath for an answer!
    Bye. Norman

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

3. slipe

slipe

If you scan text you end up with a picture of a page of text. Word can’t do anything with it other than show the picture of the page.

If you want normal text you have to take it through optical character recognition (OCR) software. Most scanners come with OCR software and have various ways of scanning with it.

You normally scan text in lineart or B&W instead of grayscale. OCR software usually requires that and the text looks sharper. If you just want to print it and not run it through the OCR then you normally scan at a higher PPI than you would use for a photo to remove the jaggies (anti-alias). I use 600PPI. My OCR also accepts 600PPI but some require a lower setting.

If you are printing directly from the scanned image look for “threshold” in the help file. If your scanner has a threshold control it cleans the page up nicely for printing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/126437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice