1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanreg /fix Freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mosaic1, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Rog,
    :eek:

Who else other than you or Whit Phil is going to tackle Chucky's latest revenge. For all here, Chucky is my computer. It's time for a format and reinstall. But this one is something I would like to try and answer if possible.

I cannot get scanreg /fix to start fixing system.dat. It just sits there at that point. I have to press the power button to restart.

Here's what I have done. I extracted a new copy of scanreg.exe to Windows\command.
    I went into msconfig and unchecked config.sys and autoexec.bat from selective startup to free Conventional memory. At that point, scanrreg /fix actually started to repair and then froze at 1%
    I have had some problems with this computer latley and had the Tech here again today. I had a new MOBO and heatsink installed. But I have performed scanreg /fix since then and it worked. Now it is kaput.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mo

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you done any checks on your ram? I would be looking for a ram fault hanging it up, there really isn't much else if you've extracted a new copy.

Also, unlike scanreg /restore, scanreg /fix requires himem.sys and extended memory. It won't run from a safe mode command prompt for example, because himem.sys isn't loaded.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Rog,
    Thanks. I'll download Doc Memory and run it. This was from the regular comand prompt not safe mode. I hope I don't need new RAM now too.

I'll let you know.

Mo

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I also recall running across some threads where it appeared scanreg /fix was freezing due to the size of the file. A successful solution in a couple of cases was to run a registry cleaner first.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Rog,
    Passed 3 burn in tests. I actually did do a registry cleaner this afternoon. I had removed a few programs. I also ran scanreg / opt
    A scandisk and defrag afterwards. My registry is smaller than it was the last time I performed a fix. Although, you are right about the size. There is actually an issue with Soundblaster Live and compacting the registry I believe.

Thanks again,
    Mo

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just out of curiosity how big is your system.dat file? From what I've gleaned most problems begin around the 8-9mb size.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

System.dat is 9.46 megs.

I used another reg cleaner just now and it's at 9.45 megs.
    It's always been large. HP's install a lot and my reg is probably bloated. I did do something to considerably shrink it and I still had the problem. I reentered the branch I removed after reboot.
    I do get an rbbad.cab when I get back to windows the creation time is just now!

The last time I tried it, the screen went dark and WIndows booted up. I tried it again and the same thing happened.
    When it's time to repair system.dat..................

But it worked before when my registry was larger.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's still a biggie. Mine is under 4mb. If you're headed towards a format, why not just try uninstalling enough programs to bring it under 8mb. You should probably run both a regcleaner and do a scanreg /opt afterwards. You've always said that you've had problems with the registry not retaining certain changes and even though scanreg /fix ran before, the size could be a problem.

Also one thing you might try (I've never done it tho-) is running smartdrv before scanreg /fix

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Rog,
    I did run smartdrive to try and speed it up. No go. I will see about shrinking it. Might be difficult. And then the opt. I ran opt each time before I tried the scanreg/fix. Even though scanreg/fix is supposed to opt too. I'll let you know. I wonder how much I can take off.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

I removed a few Programs, and ran regcleanr again.
    REbooted and did a scanreg /opt
    rebooted. Still way too big. So I removed a huge branch (after exporting it)
    ran scanreg /opt
    Rebooted. now it was good. About 6.5
    Rebooted and tried scanreg/fix
    The system file restore was fine as usual. When it came time to repair system.dat, the screen went dark and windows 98 booted.
    I repeated and it did it again.
    I am going to have to format wed or thurs. I am waiting for my new HP Mouse to be delivered.

I'll have to see if that helps. If not, it's back to the possibility that it's faulty RAM.

I wonder if I have file corruption on the drive. I use the cabs for extraction because HP's use Restore disks.

Thanks for the help and ideas. I think I'll call it a night.

Mo

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

I tried one more thing. I went back into msconfig and decided to load Config.sys and autoexec.bat again. Rebooted. Tried a scanreg /fix again. This time it started the system.dat repair, got to 1% and froze.
    I hope it's file corruption. I had to replace the Msdos.sys file last week. I couldn't get a boot menu no matter what I did.

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's been my experience that bad or shakey RAM causes a good many of the scanreg failures. If you have more than one strip of RAM, before you buy new RAM if that's what you intend to do, I'd first try moving the strips around. Take the first strip out. Then move the last strip into the first slot and place the strip you removed from the first slot into the last slot. Keep rotating them and trying the scanreg again.

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

Bryan,
    Thanks. I have one stick 128 MB

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Looks like I missed all the fun!! :)

The only last suggestion I have is to do a EXPORT then IMPORT and see if the "problem" gets fixed as a result of the registry being rebuilt.

You were also, just on the size brink. From what I have read and seen, the number seems to be around the 10MB mark.

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

WhitPhil,
    Thanks. I did try that. I tried any and everything I could think of. Although I have never been able to export the registry and then use the /c switch to bring it back together. This time was no different. I found that any manipulation I tried, i.e. opt or fix failed and I ended up with a new rbbad.cab and a registry replacement.(I'm grateful that worked or I would have had to format right there.) I tried all day again today. I was able to get into Safe Mode. Extended memory was functioning. I must have had a corrupt registry.

To all,
    This install was corrupt. Not only the Registry. I have had repeated problems over the past couple weeks with DOS and files disappearing. FTP wouldn't work. I have been fighting it but finally I had no choice. An 8 month installation not bad, I guess. No repairs would hold.
    I formatted and resinstalled.

A fresh system.dat in my HP Pavilion 8760C yields a system.dat of 7.32 MB. I uninstalled the programs I don't want.Ran Ole Clean & did a scanreg /opt and scanreg /fix which now both work.

After installing IE and security programs plus a few other necessities, I now have a system.dat = 7.22 MB

It's going to be a challenge keeping it in check. I still have a lot more to install. But it's wise to go slowly. I will do that.

Thanks for all the help. Especially Rog. You hung in there.

Mo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice