1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanreg /fix (won't!)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by arty62, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Try to run scanreg/fix...get this message:

Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive. If that doesnt work then you will need to install windows to a different directory.

What files to delete? Just deltreed all temps.
    What disk space? HD has 15GB free.
    Which diff directory?

Thanks to all who can help....rt

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

RT
    Why not try going into safemode and running a through scandisk first and see if there are linkage problems that need repair.

Dave

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Why are you running scanreg /fix as opposed to scanreg /restore? Is this a new install? Are there no older registries to restore?

Your underlying problem may be one of bad ram, and I would check that out either by swapping out modueles (best), or by running a software checker (not 100% reliable).

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

Note the instructions here presume there are no older registries to restore since the problem is thought to occur on an initial install:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q183091

4. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Davey....done yesterday, will do again...

RollinRog...Have done module change and ran DocMemory, all tests passed ...yes there are bootable registries, but Whitphil suggested scanreg/fix to help identify prob as one of memory or registry...prob was random lockups, and occasional prob booting,,,

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like that registry may be irreparably damaged. Depending on how far back the problems go (more than 4 days), even restoring an older one may not help, but you can try.

Don't try to restore the 5th or oldest on the list, they usually cannot be restored without special efforts. If you think that is the only one which predates the problem, cancel out and I'll give you special instructions for restoring it.

6. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

RollinRog...able to go back to 23d for registry/restore...according to windows, contained no errors? Is that a guarantee?

Hope so,,,,thanks to all for suggestions and great help....rt

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Usually when windows says it "successfully" restored a prior registry that's a good sign; but it doesn't mean the problem is resolved. Have you tried running scanreg /fix on it? You might want to wait a day or two so that you get more backups from scanregistry. (I don't trust the manually created ones, I always found them to be a crap shoot to restore).

The ctrl-alt-del problem you were having is by no means unusual. Whenever there is a system freeze that locks the display and disables the keyboard, you are not going to get any response from ctrl-alt-del. There may be underlying problems when this happens, such as video driver, overheating, or faulty ram -- but the inability to use ctrl-alt-del is often par for the course.

The best thing to do when that happens is to force a BIOS level shutdown by pressing and holding down the power button for 5-8 seconds. This is safe, but scandisk will run on restart.

8. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all your good help Rollin"Rog...appreciate your taking the time to spell out the whys and hows of my machines processes....thanks again....rt

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome; if it keeps freezing, and ram has been ruled out, I'd take a look at updating or just reinstalling the video drivers. Also, I don't know if anyone has asked this, but if the system was ever formatted, the Via motherboard drivers always need to be reinstalled. They include an AGP driver.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice