1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scanreg in the Dos Window

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Thread Starter

I have my registry saved each time my system boots up. I also have it save for a total of fifteen times instead of the customary five times that it comes with.

When I go to Dos and type in scanreg /restore the window shows the last five times total. Is there a way for it to show the last fifteen instead, without displacing the last five saves somewhere else on my drive?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I recall, I read somewhere that changing the registry backup copies to a number larger than 5 in the SCANREG.INI file doesn't do any good, and that only 5 copies will still be displayed when you run SCANREG /RESTORE in DOS mode.

3. Doc Holliday

I run sredit. Which will change the ini file on the fly. The rb???.cab files do indeed increase with the specified number placed in sredit. Just that the Dos mode shows 5 tops. I can move the files to another dir. and the next five will show.

However, if the Dos mode is that limited - then it's that limited.

Thanks flavallee! I appreciate the info.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you do decide to store more than the last 5 good registries through modifying the scanreg.ini file, even though W98 scanreg /restore will only give you access to the last 5, a simple extract command at a C:\> prompt or an A:\> prompt(bootdisk) can be used to restore the additional files held in the backup cabs accomplishing the same thing as a scanreg /restore.

extract /c /y c:\windows\sysbckup\rb001.cab c:\windows

Obviously replace the rb001.cab with the one you want to restore.

Hope that helps ....

5. Doc Holliday

That will work!

Thanks Bryan!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice