1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scanreg /restore?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by noterom, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noterom

noterom Thread Starter

hi, i suppose it is a stupid question but how or who saves the files
    for scanreg /retore ? i have win98s.e and when i went to restore
    there was only 4 day's showing,is that normal.
    noterom.u.k. :confused:

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

The entries are saved by the "ScanRegistry---->scanreg.exe /autorun" entry that is run when you start Windows, see Start>Run>type "msconfig">OK>Startup(tab).....They are saved in the rb00x.cab in C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP (hidden folder)..to see change option in View>Folder options>view(tab) chnage bolt nest to "show hidden files, folders)
    Lastly 4 days or 5 entries is the default number that windows saves; you can change this with a registry hack BUT "scanreg /restore" will only show the latest 5 entires no matter how many you have.
    Not sure whether I help or made things more confusing... ;)
    EDIT
    the "registry hack" above is a misnomer; its actually just a file edit as MOBO points out in the link below

3. mobo

mobo

4. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

MOBO
    Are you saying that when you do a scanreg /restore you get more than 5 choices??? Ive always had my backup copies to 15 but /restore still only show last 4 days... is your diff??

5. hewee

hewee

So if you have 15 backups then how do you get them all to show up when you run the restore. I changed mine but I can only see 5 listed when I do a restore but have 15 in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP folder.

6. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

That's my point exactly, I took MOBOs post to mean /restore shows all 15( or at least more than 5)but like I said in my reply to OP I've always only had 5 to pick from..

7. hewee

hewee

Same here jwbirdsong. :confused:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice