1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scans time out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pslater, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 64 bit computer and a Xerox 6180 multi function printer/copier/fax/scanner. I used to get 'login errors' while trying to scan to a folder on my computer. I fixed the login issue yet now all scan attempts 'time out' without completing. I can print to the device just fine but scans to the folder on my computer just 'time out'. I have installed the most recent Xerox Scan Driver for this device.

Xerox tech support says this is a common problem with W7 yet they want at least $160/yr for an annual service contract that includes 'level 2' tech support that will allow their techs to track (online) why W7 networking is not allowing the scan to complete.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? The same scanner scans to my wife's iMac just fine.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You have marked this thread solved. If this was intentional and is correct, please post the solution that you found so that others can benefit. If incorrect, please Click the "Mark Unsolved" button at the top of the thread until a real solution is found. This means that other helpers are more likely to notice this question and find a solution.

3. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

Thanks Ent. It's marked unsolved.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you initiating the scan from the multi-function or from the computer? If the former, does it work when you start the scan from the computer?

5. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

I am initiating the scan from the multi function device. Windows 7 seems to only recognize this device as a printer.

Thanks!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then I'm pretty sure--not positive- that it is not going to accept anything the scanner tries to send. How did you install the device? For me to use my HP all-in-one as a scanner I install it using HP's enormous installation package for whatever system on which I'm installing. I suspect you have to do similarly with yours.

7. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

Xerox uses web a based program called CentreWare. once I set up the address book entry, scanning worked fine on my Windows XP Pro computer. Since I've gotten the new Windows 7 computer, it won't send scanned documents (it times out) to the destination folder on my laptop. Windows 7 found the multi function and installed it on its own.

Thanks!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think it would be more accurate to say that it installed the printer portion. Previously you said,

You have no Imaging devices in Device Manager, right?

9. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

Right, no imaging devices. It baffles me that it worked in XP but won't in W7.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have the Phaser 6180MFP? If so, I suggest you stop being baffled and try the 6180MFP Utilities. I don't know if you also need the Scan Driver Installer Package. Maybe there is something about the process in the User Guide (although the guide seems to predate Windows 7).

11. pslater

pslater Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already installed the W7 scan driver but I missed the W7 utilities package. I installed the utilities package and reinstalled the scan driver and still have the same problem. Sigh. The Xerox tech support website is woefully light on W7 stuff.

Thanks!!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that line "Note: The scan driver can only be installed over USB" is strange. I wonder if that means the scanner works with Windows 7 only with a USB connection? That would sad and pretty poor if true.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    See if you can scan using W7s Windows Fax and Scan.
    If this works .. Then the scanner Twain driver is installed and working.

I use a similar method (Irfanview) to workaround (avoid) having to use HPs problematic scanning software.

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice