1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved SCART To HDMI Converter Box VS HDMI to SCART Converter Box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carloz, Aug 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

I want to connect my HP Notebook laptop to my old SAMSUNG TV (bought new in 2000) so that I can watch DVDs, Netflix, etc on the SAMSUNG screen. I've researched and I believe I need either a SCART To HDMI Converter Box or an HDMI to SCART Converter Box. Also, I'm not sure this would make any difference, but just in case it might, I live in Europe: Spain to be specific. Can anyone tell me which type I need? Thanks in advance.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Assume your laptop has HDMI out?
    Assume your TV has SCART in?

If so, since the video would be going from your laptop to your TV, you would need HDMI-to-SCART.

Carloz likes this.
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Carloz likes this.
  4. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

Not sure. How does one determine that? There's an HDMI recepticle -- or I suppose 'port,' as Managed put it -- on the left side of my notebook. My TV has one SCART recepticle.

I use a SCART cable to connect my TV to my DVD player and to my Digital Tuner. (All three have SCART recepticles.)

By the way, if it helps. this is the notebook I have: PC Notebook HP 15-af103ns (ENERGY STAR)

Thanks to you both, SpywareDr and Managed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Since it works with the DVD player it's a SCART input on the TV and notebook HDMI are always outputs so you do need an HDMI to SCART adapter like the ones in my Ebay link (but do check that you get the right one, Ebay and other places sometimes show SCART to HDMI as well).

Carloz likes this.
  6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yep, I agree: HDMI (out from the laptop) to SCART (input on the TV). I.e, HDMI-to-SCART.

Carloz likes this.
  7. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

Excellent! Thank you both very much!! Saludos, Carlos

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) Por nada. ;)

Carloz likes this.
  9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :)

Carloz likes this.
  10. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

Well, I bought an HDMI to SCART converter. It came with no cables. I already had the SCART cable, so I bought an HDMI cable. Then I set it up and nothing happened; just the usual static on the screen. I bought it from Amazon. It's a Neoteck HDMI to SCART Scaler Video Converter 1080P. Am I missing a step? Or maybe the converter I bought is simply crap. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Is this the one?

?

If so, this is what it states, in part:

You need HDMI to SCART, not the other way around.

You're trying to send a video signal out from the HDMI port on the laptop over in to the SCART on your TV.

From HDMI to SCART.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Post a link to the one you bought please. If it is the HDMI to SCART version it needs a 5 Volt supply from a Usb port to work. Also if there is a small switch on the HDMI end it should probably be set to PAL.

13. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.
    The converter says HDMI to SCART. Here it is on AMAZON.ES, which is who I purchased it thru: https://www.amazon.es/Neoteck-Alumi...0719SS64N/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    And here's the same one on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07591V4FR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AZV1Z18ZCU603&psc=1
    I initially set it to PAL and then also tried setting it to NTSC. No joy on either.
    It comes with a cord to connect the converter device to the mains, not to a USB port. So, I connected it to the mains. A red power light comes on when I plug it in.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:55 PM
  14. Carloz

Carloz Thread Starter

P.S. I also tried it using two HP laptops: the one I mentioned above and another one I bought new in February, which is an HP 255G6/15/E2- 9000. Cheers

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Whew. Looks like you did get the right one.

In the description for it, it says, (in English) "【Output of 2 TV Formats】 Support NTSC and PAL Two Output Standard TV Formats, Change the Output Format CVBS". Are you sure it is set to the correct format for your TV, (NTSC or PAL)?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice