1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scary Check Disk problem initiated by Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bellisimo, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 3, Intel [R] Core[TM]2 Quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.40GHz with 3.00 GB of RAM.

When I booted up just now a Windows light blue screen came on suggesting I should let Windows run a 3 stage Check Disk. I clicked Okay and it started . It was running down the screen too fast for me to write any of it down but it found a whole lot of files that were unreadable. I think in the second stage it said it was (perhaps) correcting problems, and doing something with orphan files but I don't know what any of this means. Some of the code language would often refer to things that looked like $350 or $128 (approximately) along with other code I couldn't read. It took about maybe twelve minutes, or so, and when it was done everything seemed to be working. It didn't tell me anything is wrong with my computer but could it mean my C Drive is faulty? That's my main concern. It's a fairly new 300 Gig hard drive and I haven't backed it up yet, and I guess if it's already faulty there wouldn't be much point in backing it up now, or would there?

I'd appreciate some helpful advice and I thank you in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There must have been something wrong for chkdsk to have made that many corrections. Files were probably deleted or placed in a folder at the root of the drive if they couldn't be identified.

You would be wise to always have a full image of a drive to restore if the drive failed or you lost access in some other way. You're right, though, that it may be too late for this drive, though if further problems come along, an image made now will at least save what you have at present.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

Try the complete surface test of the drive (chkdsk /r). The result will tell you if there are any bad sectors, though if there are, it may need to run all night to finish. If you run it from the Recovery Console, you will be able to read the result when it completes. Or check the Event Log if it needs to run in Windows at boot time.

More complete tests can be downloaded from the manufacturer, but may not be needed.

Be sure you have backups before running chkdsk. If the file system is damaged, chkdsk can work miracles in repairing it. But if the partition is damaged and chkdsk runs with incorrect parameters, it will scramble files so that no one could ever recover them again.

3. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thank you, Elvandil,

I'll make a backup with Macruium later today. Where should I store the disk and image of the drive, on C drive?

Thanks so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice