1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scattered glitches across my screen, system lock up/freeze and crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imagen01, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imagen01

imagen01 Thread Starter

My Windows XP Pro PC (Asus p5 Series motherboard, Pentium 4 2.8processor, 2GB Ram, 512mb MSI Graphics Card, Matrox RTX100 Video card) keeps getting scattered glitches across the screen and then very soon after the system locks up/freezes and then sometimes completely crashes.
    The computer was self built about 6 years ago mainly by a friend and its main purpose was to video edit but hasnt been 100% right from the start. I had used it ok and edited a few things but stopped using it for some time when it started to crash quite often. I tried using it agian recently but now I get this happening within the first 30min of using it.
    One thing i always thought was that it got to hot, the software temperature gauge often showed it approaching red all the time. but this was confusing because I have 2 fans on the case (one in a flap out the top of the case_ plus I mounted a fan in a spare AGP slot near the graphics card.
    I wondered if the CPU was still over heating and causing this, in that case I wouldn't have a clue what to do, or if the graphics card was faulty, in which case would I need a new one? I wouldn't want to spend a lot in case this wasn't the problem.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!

If you are experiencing video display problems, the graphics card would be the most likely suspect. Also, be sure your power supply is up to the task. I'd guess you should have at least a 400 W power supply.

3. Kudoss

Kudoss

The symptoms you have given are the classic signs of the CPU overheating. I myself clean my system from top to bottom inside and out every 2 months to makes sure there isn't any dust in the system causing the processor to overheat and start failing on me.

Unfortunately this is Windows XP for you... it does crash a lot, it does stop responding when running applications or games which use a lot of computing power. Simple question and it's a valid one... when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the case. in the last six years have you taken the CPU cooler off to see if there is any dust collected around the CPU cooler base and on the cooler. You wont believe what I have witnessed over the years, as the main contributing factor is overheating is a clogged CPU at the base of the CPU cooler. Try cleaning the CPU and the cooler with a lint free or linen

[1] System crashing at bootup

[2] System resources running at 89% - 90%
    System crashes for no reason and then system hangs often resulting in forcing the system to shutdown by holding in the Power button to shut down.

[3] When using application or games that use a lot of CPU power, the application stops responding or crashes in the middle of using the application or game.

[4] CPU usage is running at 100%

[5] CPU temperature has reached it's max and then system is on the verge of crashing or rebooting itself without an explanation

4. Kudoss

Kudoss

I was just about to say that, and yes the PSU needs t be adequate for the system which can also cause the system to crash.:(

5. imagen01

imagen01 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info so far.
    Just to let you know...
    PSU is a 400w
    I will look into the CPU advise given. I have given the PC unit a general clean throughout a few times but I'll look closer into the CPU.
    As the issues came about quite quickly I wonder if the cleanliness is the issue, I do think over heating could be the issue but what else could cause this other than dust/dirt?
    You mention this could relate to the crashing a lot but would this also cause the strips of silver'ish glitches I get across my screen. This can sometimes happen for a good few minutes before a crash or lock up happens.

Many thanks in advance again.

p.s. i have just posted another new thread regarding another PC of mine that I am having trouble with. This one is really irritating me too. please take a look. Oh in case you are wondering. I had a few computers in storage and am only now trying to get them going again. Cheers.

6. imagen01

imagen01 Thread Starter

Still need some more advice if you can give it. Just so that I can try out a number of things to get to the bottom of this.
    Thanks in advance.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally I would disagree with Kudos in some areas (nothing pesonal :D ), although he does still make a good number of perfectly valid points and suggestions:

You say you are getting graphical glitches, in my opinion that is far more likely to be a problem with the graphics card itself rather than the than the CPU.

Windows XP doesn't crash alot by default, well not in my experience anyway. I ran a PC with WinXP for years (never reformatted / reinstalled), doing gaming etc and other things and it very rarely crashed.

I would certainly have a look at your temperatures, download HWMonitor, run the program and screenshot it at idle, then do something to work the system a bit, screenshot HWMonitor again and post both screenshots in a reply here.

Many things can contribute to heat, poor thermal design of the case itself, underpowered power supply, dust and dirt, degraded thermal paste etc. With a 6+ year old system that hasnt been used much the initial causes I would look at are:

1) dust and dirt
    2) thermal paste probably could do with replacing on the CPU (if it is overheating)
    3) Check the power supply wattage etc, they always degrade as they get older so the older it is the less likely it will be outputting the power levels it says it can.

With the system turned off and power disconnected, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to discharge any capacitors. Then totally remove the graphics card and reseat it, do the same with RAM sticks and all power and data cables just to be sure nothing has worked loose. Do each thing one at a time if you aren't sure about stripping it down and starting from scratch.

8. imagen01

imagen01 Thread Starter

Tanis Thanks for your swift reply, gives me a lot more to go on. If you dont mind can you tell me how to do those resets...Graphics cards etc.
    I was always suspicious of the CPU paste as my fiend did that bit and as mentioned I did have some over heating problems from the start that caused some crashing...how do I redo the paste...is it very difficult.
    Many thanks again...great stuff...im loving this site.forum already.

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Not reset, reseat. Remove the device and reinsert it into its socket.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In addition to all the good advice already given I would also test the Ram.

It's an easy test to do and if the Video is sharing system Ram it could be the Ram that has a problem.

Use Memtest86+ this will download a zipped Iso file :- http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

Unzip the Iso file and burn it as an Image onto a CD, you can use the free ImgBurn program to do it :- http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

If you install ImgBurn just righ-click the unzipped Iso file and select 'Burn using ImgBurn'.

Boot with the CD and run at least one full pass of Memtest86+ - Overnight is better, if you get any errors run it with a single Ram stick installed and try each stick in turn until you find the one giving errors.

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As Gr3iz says, reseat not reset :D, had to re-read my post to see if I had typed it in wrong.

I agree with managed and a memtest with Memtest86 would of been the next course of action.

If you can do the bits advised in my previous post, i.e. installing HWMonitor and posting up some screenshots of it for us that would be useful, you may not need to worry about the thermal paste :) HWMonitor will hopefully give us an idea what what is going on with temperatures and voltages across the system.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!