1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scene7.com - cannot view images

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by apter, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apter

apter Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm new to this website, so I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong place! :eek:
    Basically whenever I try to access online retail websites who use Scene7.com to host/process their images, such as Oli.co.uk or Jdsports.co.uk, I always get a Red "X" or just a blank image placeholder.
    I'm on AOL Broadband (in the UK) and have asked other users on the AOL UK network to try those websites mentioned above, and they have had no problems. So I have come to the conclusion that it must be something to do with either my computer or wireless router?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    John

P.S. I've just noticed that whenever I try to access Scene7's website (Scene7.com) it just times out? And I've also tried using an online Proxy to see if i can gain access to the above websites, but still no luck! :(
    -------------------------------------
    Here are my computer details;
    Compaq Presario SR1937UK, Windows XP Home, Internet Explorer 7.
    AOL Broadband, Speedtouch 576 V6 Wireless Router.

2. Sponsor

3. j_houch

j_houch

Could be a firewall setting, DNS issue, or hosts file issue; among others. Those are the three that came to mind. Can you ping scene7.com?

4. apter

apter Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Just tried to ping the website, and I got the error message "Ping request could not find host www.scene7.com. Please check the name and try again" :(

5. TOGG

TOGG

That site opens OK for me using XP Home, Opera, AOL dialup in the UK (no router) and the Comodo firewall.

Check your Hosts file for any reference to scene7 or this IP address: 205.188.162.144 If there's nothing there it may be a router issue which I can't help you with.

6. apter

apter Thread Starter

Had a look at the Hosts file - it looks healthy, no reference to Scene7.com or that IP address. Unfortunately it looks like it's my router that is at fault, so I will have to investigate.

Thanks for your help (y)

7. Olle_Olle

Olle_Olle

Hi

I've been having the same problems as of late, it seems to be isolated to scene7.com

No images on any of the shopping sites will display (just get red x) and I can't view the any part of the scene7 website.

I've tried two different routers (Linksys & Netgear) and still this doesn't solve the problem, tried allowing all traffic through router firewalls tried various MTU values and so on.

I've checked IE7 & Firefox settings etc, i use windows firewall (tried without) & Avast antivirus (also tried without,, disabled it on one machine also removed it from another) and still get the same problem.

I've looked about on the net and there seems to be one or two people suffering from the same issues but and beginning to get a little stumped as to finding a way of resolving this.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

8. TOGG

TOGG

Before my last post I checked the site's server and it appeared to be working and displaying the site.

I just tried to access the site again using its URL and got the usual error message 'site not available, check your spelling etc etc.' I then ran another server check using the IP address and got this;

"Initiating server query ...
    Looking up the domain name for IP: 205.188.162.144
    The domain name for the IP address is: akamai01.cache.aol.com
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
    Server: AkamaiGHost
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 187
    Expires: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:00:33 GMT
    Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:00:33 GMT
    Connection: close
    Query complete."

The site clearly is down for now, so the question is whether this is temporay or permanent. I didn't keep the record of my earlier server check so I don't know what has changed re: the domain name, but I wonder if the mention of aol suggests that it has been transferred?.

9. Olle_Olle

Olle_Olle

Update:

I've taken the config from a friends netgear router (same router as I’m using) where i know that for example I go to the B&Q website and the product images display no problem (images come from scene7), the router connects using an AOL broadband connection as does mine.

Before doing so I checked that i was able to view product images on the network using this config (and they did no problem).

Again back on my own network everything else on the internet works fine (FTP, Download & Upload, Remote desktop and so on....), however when I try view the B&Q website I am still unable to view product images,, This is the case for the 4 machines I use on my network (1 vista,, 3 XP).

The images display fine if I remote desktop onto someone else’s machine and the scene7 website displays no problem (checked 20:45) and still I am unable to view it on any of the systems on my own network.

Again any help resolving this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance

P.S i use the B&Q website as an example, i am unable to view any product images on all shopping websites that use scene7.

10. TOGG

TOGG

Well it was obviously a temporary thing as far as my setup is concerned because that site now works as well as it did the first time I tried it yesterday, unlike the 400 error I got earlier today?.

There appears to have been a minor change in the IP address, it's now 205.188.162.136, but I don't have any idea how these things work with servers or whether it is even relevant to the issue here. I can also view the product images at the B&Q site without problems (apart from waiting for them to download!).

Have you tried all j_houch's suggestions?

11. Olle_Olle

Olle_Olle

Yes I've tried Looking at my firewall settings (Router & Windows) Dropped both of them and still no change.

There's nothing in my host file.

I can Ping both IP's

&

Again thanks for your time

12. j_houch

j_houch

Apter: This sounds like DNS issue to me.

Olle_Olle: Can you ping the hostname as well?

13. CarlosTheMag

CarlosTheMag

Ok everyone I have been having the exact same problem but good news is I have solved the problem :)

All i did was log onto AOL and just go on the website directly through the AOL web browser... works fine for me now... still doesnt work if I use Firefox or IE but atleast i can see it now..

This problem looks like its only happening with AOL customers so everyone should be fine

Hope this works :)

14. Olle_Olle

Olle_Olle

If i try and ping www.scene7.com i get the error message:
    "Ping request could not find host www.scene7.com. please chack the name and try again"

CarlosTheMag your right i didn't actually check until i read your post i can access the sites and view the images through the AOL browser, my Partner still has the AOL software installed on her laptop as she prefers to get her emails using it.

The last thing i want to hve to do is install the AOL software on all of my systems for obvious reasons.

Why would the images work in AOL browser and not IE or Firefox? or better yet how can i progress from here to make them work as they should do in all browsers?

Again thank you to all

15. j_houch

j_houch

That's definitely curious. If you can't ping a web site, but can ping the IP, it's a DNS issue. I wonder if there's a setting in the AOL software that isn't set in IE/Firefox? Or maybe it's something with AOL's DNS servers only working with the AOL browser for some reason?

Personally, I've never liked AOL's internet service, even though I haven't used it often. Why does an ISP need to have software that has a browser, and all that other jazz? Why can't you just hook your connection up and use what you want? I'm not entirely sure of what the best solution is here guys, but if you can access the site through AOL, then at least you can access it if you really need to.

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to throw them into the "idea pool."

16. TOGG

TOGG

I always thought the AOL browser was just IE with an AOL 'skin', but perhaps that's changed!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704997