1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scheduled boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elpram, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elpram

Elpram Thread Starter

I was wondering if it was possible to set a time of day for your computer to turn on. I think it may have something to do with my BIOS, because windows can't do anything until it's loaded. Below is my BIOS information, and I would like to know if what I'm asking is possible, and if so, can I do it, or can I upgrade my BIOS so I can do it.

AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
    Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:
    62-0212-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_P6
    - ---- ------ ------
    | | | |
    | | | Chipset/BIOS Info
    | | BIOS Build Date
    | Manufacturer ID
    BIOS ROM Information
    AMIBIOS ROM Size: 256 KB
    BIOS Build Date: Apr 02 2001
    Motherboard Manufacturer Code Detected: 1131 - ELITEGROUP Computer System Co.,
    Please Consults ELITEGROUP Computer System Co., for support

AMIBIOS Build Tag: P4VMM2
    AMIBIOS Project ID: P4VMM2 Not listed in TAG.DAT file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SMBIOS info:
    Manufacturer : ECS
    Product Name : P4VMM2
    Version : 1.0
    Serial Number: 00000000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why don't you just leave it on all the time?

3. Elpram

Elpram Thread Starter

Because my brother and I sleep in the same room, and he says he can't sleep with it on, and he sleeps in until 11:00, whereas I'm gone by around 9:00. Since my computer is set up as a file server/website for my use when I'm not at home, I need it on, but I'm not at home to turn it on. Hence the question of scheduling a boot-up. Also, your question may be irrelevant and even dumb, but look at the site's motto!

Thanks!

4. junker39

junker39

Tell your bro to fire it up when he gets thru with his beauty nap.

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

Heh, I sleep with a fan, the radio, my computer, etc on, the more noise, the better for me. To my knowledge, you can't set a time in the bios for a system to turn on. You may be able to have it "sleep" and then come on when you try to access the network however. Think it's called "wake on lan" or something like that.

6. Elpram

Elpram Thread Starter

No go on having my brother turn it on...he's...shall we say...not the nicest person. As for the wake-on-lan, I have heard of it, but I have a wireless card, so I didn't think it would work. Any suggestions?

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Simply try it. You won't know if you don't try. ;)

8. Elpram

Elpram Thread Starter

Well, I actually have no idea what wake-on-lan is, anyone care to explain it to me?

9. cavtek

cavtek

hi elpram, you might consider picking up a plug in timer from the hardware store. get one with the plugin trip pins. set one to turn the machine on at a selected time and leave the off pin out and shut it down manually. oh yeah take into consideration the wattage thing.

10. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    In the BIOS under Power Settings (or some such thing, I don't know your particular BIOS layout), there should be a setting called "Wake on LAN". What it does is, if the computer is set to standby or hibernate, anyone accessing your computer from the network will turn it on.

Have a look in the BIOS, and don't touch anything apart from the "Wake on LAN". Who knoweth what horrors lay in store otherwise ;) .

11. Elpram

Elpram Thread Starter

There's something about an RTS alarm or something....should I touch it?

12. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Never heard of it myself...does it show any info about it?

13. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, I have to disappear now, I wish you good luck in your venture Elpram (y) .

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice