1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scheduled Norton scan/Critical Updates won't run

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

New user of XP Home with new computer.

I can't get XP to run the Norton scan daily. It also won't download, or install, or notify me of MS Critical Updates.

I'm familiar with how to activate these things, so I don't need instructions how to actually schedule them - they just won't do it. And if it was only NAV, I'd say it was the program, but it's the MS Updates too. Although NAV did run the scans a couple of times. Are there system-type files, or dll things I might be missing that's stopping these from running? How do I know? I've been everywhere in the Task Scheduler and at one time saw a "dependency" file that NAV required, but now I don't remember where/what I was looking at, or what it was, or how to check if I had it.

2. mobo

mobo

Verify that task scheduler is running in administrative tools / services first.

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

It says "Started".
    (I had checked on this before. I clicked "Restart" the service a few days ago, even though it claimed it was "Started", because as far as I could tell it wasn't doing anything.)

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Marie
    See if this Newsgroup Link is of any value is your search for an answer.

Let us know....

Dave

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, there is a bug in W2K where if you are booting from the FAT filesystem, the scheduler stops scheduling tasks everytime DST changes. You have to go in and set all the passwords for the tasks to get them running again. :rolleyes:

Don't look at me, I'm not making this up! :D

6. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what the workaround w/out passwords means. The link contains some advanced stuff (for me), and I see something else they linked to that is a Registry file that I would be afraid to use. I am the only one with a password and the only Administrator account. And up until recently, I didn't even HAVE a password (and it still wasn't working). When I tried to schedule it from Task Scheduler it did ask for a password, but scheduling it from there is impossible anyway because you can only open the program itself, you can't make it run. And the Windows Updates--98 SE ( I WANT IT BACK!!) had an app called Windows Critical Update Notification, I can't find anything like that in XP to "turn on", and I've even looked through the MS site to see if they had something like that for XP (they don't).

7. mobo

mobo

In xp pro go to control panel /administrative tools / services and scroll for automatic updates.

8. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

(This is XP Home, remember)
    Automatic Updates - "Started"
    Startup Type - "Automatic"
    Logon as - "Local System"

9. mobo

mobo

10. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Where do I install that download? Just C:|Windows?

11. mobo

mobo

12. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

13. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

(I know how to get the Updates manually. And luckliy, NAV is easy to do manually also. It's an annoyance I can't figure out, is all.)

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One other thing about scheduler, for W2K at least, it won't run a task without a password. It'll allow you to schedule it, but it simply won't run. I haven't tried it on XP to know if that's still an issue, but it's something to be aware of.

15. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

So Task Scheduler is NOT where I want to be at all - - right? Because that makes sense, the way I see it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice