1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

School issued Chromebooks hogging home WiFi signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cernoma, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

In trying to research this issue online, I almost feel like I'm imagining things... I'm a pretty tech savvy guy but just can't figure out why I'm having this new issue..

My daughters each received a school issued chrome book (2 chromebooks in total)... They are supposed to complete all school work on them.

Pretty cool... Free chrome books... The issue arises at home. When they use the home WiFi (supported by xfinity issued WiFi rental router)... All other users are, in effect booted from their pre-existing connections... It feels like the new Chromebooks are taking a priority over WiFi connection.

Now... last year, my daughters each used a laptop (not issued by school) for their work... Last year no one lost their existing WiFi connection... The rest of the family is using windows (laptop) or android (phone) products.

In comparison from year to year there is an equal count of devices that would consume a WiFi signal.. Again.. The only difference is that two laptops were flipped to chrome books

When the girls finish their homework, everyone else can get back online...

My question

It feels like the chrome books are set up in a way such that they will have priority over consuming signal... Perhaps even trading taking a bigger chunk...

If this is the case, if I'm not crazy, is there a network setting somewhere where I could affect said priority and said consumption rate... At this point ... These free chromebooks, originally meant to increase productivity for school work, are wreaking havoc on everyday household productivity for rest of household...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, not to mention my give my sanity a nice check.

Thanks and have a great day.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With my lack of Chromebook experience I doubt if I can help much. But you really aroused my curiosity.

Do the other devices lose their Wi-Fi connection? Or do they maintain their connection, and access to each other and the router, but cannot access the internet? Or can they still access the internet but only very slowly?

Whichever it is, does an ethernet connection still work satisfactorily?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is it not Chromebooks that effectively run the OS from the cloud?? If so, it certainly would not surprise me that they grab all the resources.
    If you have control of the router, you can usually control the percentage of the resources that each machine is allowed to use, or change their priority.

5. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

First, thanks for taking a moment to reply... When girls come home from school today, I'll look...

If it is a fixed IP address, is that something that could be changed (assuming that's the culprit)? Next steps?

6. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

Oh.. Yes... At beginning of school year, it appeared that both girls could connect simultaneously.. That's said, they have recently indicated that they now need to schedule homework time.. One "active" chrome book at a time... Certainly not productive

7. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. And as the issue started with the introduction of them, betcha point A leads to point B.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    depends on how the school use the address - its very unusual to used a fixed IP address - but thats the sort of thing that can knock others off - not usually all though

9. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply... Yes.. It is curious.. I've been thinking for a bit about issue... I usually can fix these types of things myself... But no luck this time..

So... Yes.. Ethernet seems to work while one of the girls is using WiFi... Good there

Regarding connections to other devices... The devices see the router and attempt to connect, without success... The phones resort to mobile data plan... The laptops simply can't connect to internet... Task bar icon indicates no connection

10. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

Thanks for helping to figure this out... I do think that is what chrome book is about .. Cloud stuff, including OS... I do have access to router settings... Hmm... I'll have to explore that more... At first glance I didn't see the ability you speak of (parsing of signals)... I'll definitely look again as it sounds promising... Thanks again

11. DaveBurnett

It is usually an option in the wireless users section.
    You should find things in there like access control that limit machines by mac address(what I was referring to), ip address (not sensible unless fixed) time (definitely look at this), and target address(ie restricted sites)

12. Cernoma

Cernoma Thread Starter

Great... I appreciate the information... I'll look and update the forum asap.

Hmmm... On the assumption that the chrome books best operate with the current resource allotment... (And I'm just thinking out loud here) ... Could there also be a hardware solution?... Say a better (or an additional) router... Just grasping at straws.

Thanks again

13. DaveBurnett

There's a very good chance that there will be a better router with more options than the one provided by your ISP.
    Whether the ISP will allow you to use one though is a different question.
    Here in the UK, if you know how to do it you can, but I keep the supplied one on the side so that If there are any problems with the line I can swap it in whilst I complain, sorry ring up about it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice