1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

School laptop wireless connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ironfist, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Good evening Tech Support Guy forums. Here is one for you. I am using a laptopt that is used at a school. The owner (member of staff) can connect to the schools wireless internet but not the one here at home. The computer is running XP Pro and I'm a Linux guy so I'm stumped.

Bascially the wireless card picks up the router, connects and tells me the signal strength is great and all is well. That is not the case. When trying to get anywhere on the net I get the old could not find server page. I have taken an ethernet cable out of the back of one of the other machines and plugged it into the laptop. I need to tell it to not use proxy at all and to automatically detect settings. That is fine but the owner needs the wireless. Like I said the card works fine at the school. Here it won't. I told it to not look for hte proxy and get the settings automatically. We have other machines that connect to the router wirelessly and the router itself assigns the laptop an IP.

Can anyone help me fix this and get it all sorted?

The card is D-Link Airplus DWL-G650+ and the router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G router.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Ironfist

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Does the card associate with the access point? If it does what is the IP address it pulls. Also is there any encryption or security on the wireless network like MAC filters and such?

3. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

It gets the IP 192.168.2.3 and the security key is entered just fine. I found out I can ping other people on the network. It seems it can't get from my network to the internet.

4. N E Key

N E Key

If you do an ipconfig /all on laptop, what else does it show?

5. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Sorry about this I fixed it. Turns out the Deafult gateway and DNS server were still set to the schools. Boy do I feel like an idiot. Thanks anyway tho.

Ironfist

6. N E Key

N E Key

I've done that more than once!

7. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Ive set everything back to obtain everything automatically (IP and DNS). That should work when they take it back to the school? I believe that's how it was before. I am NOT going to be popular if it doesn't work :p

Thanks again for the help

Ironfist

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice