Solved School my school's IT guy please

LMauceri

Hello! I am a teacher, and having a lot of difficulty with a specific problem, with no help from my IT support. So will you please help me school the school's IT?
I created a website to give my students my online lessons for remote learning during this pandemic time, using WIX. I make 2 youtube videos for each class, each week and upload them to the website. So overall the site holds about 6-10 videos each week for the different grade levels. The videos, as mentioned are filmed on my iphone, edited in MovieMaker, uploaded onto youtube, published as unlisted, and then embedded into the site using the link provided by youtube.
Everyone is able to access and watch my videos EXCEPT students on school loaned iPads. They range in year and model number per grade level, but I am finding that NO iPads regardless of year, make, model, etc. are working.

There are 2 issues that are occuring:
1. Most people experience the video will start playing, freeze, and then eventually freeze the whole webpage. You have to close everything out, restart the wifi, and reopen the web browser, and reload the video. Sometimes this works, sometimes it continues to just freeze.
2. The rest of the people experience not being able to hit the pause button, it just seems frozen. So when I ask the students to pause the video and work on the step independently, they can't. The video just keeps going.

The students are able to watch ALL other videos from ALL other teachers but mine. So why are my videos freezing, and their's are not? I thought maybe it was because I posted them as unlisted, but even when I marked them as public I am still having the same issues. I explained this EXACTLY as stated here to my IT support, annnnddddddddd:

The response I get from IT was: "that's just student's not wanting to do your assignment, and using it as an excuse to not do the work."
The response I get from Admin was: "it's their internet, tell them to move closer to the wifi router."

NOW I don't know much about technology, but I know enough to know those answers are completely asinine.
Can anyone help me, or point me in the right direction of how to fix this? Or at least confirm that these answers I have received are complete BS?
I am so sick of answering angry parent emails, and telling them "you're student is just using it as an excuse not to do my assignments," doesn't cut it, or sit well with me.
THANK YOU!!

LMauceri

I want to add:
Everyone can watch the videos if I send them a personal email with the links copied directly from youtube. I don’t understand why it doesn’t work on my website, but it works if I email it. But in teaching over 350 students, I cannot send personal emails each week to get students to do my assignments.

colinsp

Colin
From your description it seems as though it may be a Wix issue. Do other teachers do exactly what you do with Wix sites and YouTube?

A different web host to Wix may sort the issue.

Alternatively a free account at Mailchimp would allow you to send your email to all 350 students each week easily and it would overcome this problem.

LMauceri

That definitely makes a lot of sense that it would be six related. There is only one other teacher using wix, but he is not posting videos. The other teachers are mostly using google sites. I Chose wix due to the endless customization options, but look where it got me! I am going to be checking out mailchimp today and see what that’s all about. Thank you so much for your response!! You gave me more info in one thread post, than I got in 10 days of back and forth correspondence With my IT! Much appreciated!

From your description it seems as though it may be a Wix issue. Do other teachers do exactly what you do with Wix sites and YouTube?

A different web host to Wix may sort the issue.

Alternatively a free account at Mailchimp would allow you to send your email to all 350 students each week easily and it would overcome this problem.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well if no one else has the issue on their personal iPhone/iPads, then it's possible that the school iPads may have a configuration that is preventing them. There is an Apple system called JAMF that configures iPads under the school's account (like we have at my work).

But having said that, it may also be a browser issue. If they are all using Safari, I would suggest using Chrome instead on the iPads, if they can install it if it's not on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online