1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

School Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vishnu Reddy, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vishnu Reddy

Vishnu Reddy Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I am new to networking and I have been trying setup a small home network to get all my desktops and laptops on the internet. I have a DSL internet connection given by my school. I have a Speedstream 5100 Ethernet DSL Modem. Usually I connect my desktop running on windows XP Home to the modem and it works just fine with no issues. Then I picked up two things. An ancient Toshiba Satellite T2130CT Laptop running on Windows 98 and a 100 Base TX Ethernet Hub.
    The laptop came with a IBM Creditcard Ethernet Adapter II PCMCIA Card. When I wanted to use the laptop to get online I just used the PCMCIA Card and hooked it to the DSL modem and got online. No issues there.
    Then I tried to get both the laptop and desktop online using the Ethernet Hub. The internet on the desktop works just fine even when routed through the hub. However, when I connect the Laptop (using the PCMCIA Card) to the Hub it freezes. I can move the mouse around but nothing else happens as long as I am connected to the hub.
    I conneted another (second) laptop running on Windows XP to the hub and it works just fine along with the desktop at the same time. I am suspecting that that IBM PCMCIA Card has issues with the Hub. I tried looking online for help but came out empty.
    Here is a link to my school DSL website that shows the kind of connection used:
    UND DSL Self Setup
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

clear skies
    Vishnu

2. compgeek101

compgeek101

Hey, try connecting the cord going to the laptop to a different port in the hub. If that doesnt work i would suggest upgrading to XP, because it is a good idea whether you are having problems or not. Happy netowrking :)

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Check the cable you were using to connect the 98 box to the hub, make sure it's not a cross over cable. Even if it was, I can't explain why it would lock up on you like that; it would have to be a problem with windows, but I wouldn't just blindly attempt to upgrade it to XP until you're sure 98 is really having problems. If the laptop is that ancient, XP may not be able to load on it anyway...

Have you tried to boot the 98 box while it is connected to the hub?

-Scott

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice