School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home PART 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mumbodog

Original expired thread here
http://forums.techguy.org/tech-related-news/903956-school-used-student-laptop-webcams-2.html

Worse than we first thought

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100416_1_000s_of_Web_cam_images__suit_says.html

The system that Lower Merion school officials used to track lost and stolen laptops wound up secretly capturing thousands of images, including photographs of students in their homes, Web sites they visited, and excerpts of their online chats

The motion, filed in federal court late Thursday by his lawyers, says that each time the camera took Robbins' picture, it fired the image off to network servers at the School District.

Back at district offices, the Robbins motion says, employees with access to the images marveled at the tracking software. It was like a window into "a little LMSD soap opera," a staffer is quoted as saying in an e-mail to Carol Cafiero, the administrator running the program.

"I know, I love it," she is quoted as having replied.

The motion offers a wider glimpse into the now-disabled program that spawned Robbins' lawsuit and has shined an international spotlight on the district.

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Thanks for the update! The district should be sued into bankruptcy.

Peace...

Mumbodog

Makes me wonder if there are other schools doing this.

It was like a window into "a little LMSD soap opera," a staffer is quoted as saying in an e-mail to Carol Cafiero, the administrator running the program.

"I know, I love it," she is quoted as having replied..
A bunch of sick human beings.

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
I agree. If the individuals directly participating in this are candidates for punishment, I think they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. This is clearly an abuse of power and it turns my stomach.

Peace...

Mumbodog

If I were the Judge, I would order spy cams in their Houses (all rooms) for a year, make feeds public, see how they like it.

Now thats Justice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online