1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCO Unixware Issue

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by MrGlim, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrGlim

MrGlim Thread Starter

We're running SCO Unixware 7.0, 1, and 2... and on all systems, the ps -fu command only works intermittently. When it doesn't work, it outputs that there are no users logged in (there are plenty logged in).

Anyone have some insight? All patches are current.

Thanks.:cool:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Might want to have a moderator move this thread to the Unix forum. Use the red triangle in the corner of your post and ask a moderator to move it to the Unix forum.

3. MrGlim

MrGlim Thread Starter

k, done. Sry, I wasn't aware of the unix forum.

4. tsunam

tsunam

Well, we're mostly the linux/unix/etc forum for all those funky os's.

Is it just ps -fu that has issues or do you get it with say ps ax as well, where it doesn't say you have any processes running. I'm just trying to figure out if its a larger problem with ps or if its just a problem with the one particular function.

5. MrGlim

MrGlim Thread Starter

it will list the processes for root, but processes for users comes up blank... because it doesn't see the users. The command actually works sometimes, then a few hours later it won't work.

6. tsunam

tsunam

hmm that is very odd. I'd likely say that something is wrong with procps, which contains the ps application. I'd try to reinstall that if its possible.

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

ps -fu requires as its next argument the name of the user. If you want processes for all users, use ps -ef.

8. MrGlim

MrGlim Thread Starter

ok I'll be looking into this stuff. Thanks very much for your help.

9. MrGlim

MrGlim Thread Starter

Ok here's what I found out.

Apparantly procps is for linux, whereas our SCO ps command pathnames are as follows: usr/bin/ps and sbin/ps

Also, using each ps command with its specified pathname hasn't worked either. This problem is occuring in our 6 or 8 independent SCO servers.

And ps -ef or ps -f aren't working either.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi MrGlim,

Unix system commands usually have two derivatives, one from BSD and the other from SysV.

SCO Unix is derived from SysV (i.e. if it is UnixWare, and earlier versions of it may be BSD?)

For BSD oriented systems, try: ps -alx

For SysV oriented systems, try: ps -elf

The best source of information is the man page for ps on your local machine.
    Consult it, try: man ps

-- Tom

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice